Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish suggestions

Finish suggestions

Had a nice surprise at our club meeting on Saturday. A fellow member told me he had turned and bleached a hf from river birch, and asked if I'd like to have it to finish up. He then proceeded to pull a very large piece from his bag! I just thought, wow!

It's about 10 1/2" x 8" and it's a blank slate.
    I'm thinking some dye and maybe some pyro. Any suggestions? One color, multi colors, no colors, pyro designs?

2012-01-22_00-35-40.jpg
    Thanks for looking!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, that is a beautifully white form! I would find it difficult to change it. IMO, dye should be reserved for figured pieces, or the occasional piece that lacks character and needs a bit of warmth. Sometimes dye can enhance the wood tone of a bland piece. Here, you have an ivory look that I would preserve! Nice work, BTW!

What are you doing up at this hour of the morning??????

I'm terrible at decorating, so If it were mine, i'd call it "whiteout" and love it as is!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Another vote for keeping it white----- that is just to cool.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Another vote for white. Use a water based finish to avoid turning it yellow.

Ditto - Another vote for keeping it white. I would add the finish should be non-yellowing.

Yep. Let it be.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Kathy,
    I think dying it would make it look too much like pottery. I have done some black forms and vases and have always just used a flat clear lacquer on them. If you are looking to add some color to it, a contrasting Finial might do the trick, but otherwise, it does stand on its own with just a clear sealer or finish coat. A very nice piece, and a great gift.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I agree to leave it as is. I would use something like General Finishes Woodturners finish or a water based finish to keep it from yellowing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's too cool! I'd use the Krylon spray acrylic for a few coats then briefly sand with 2000, buff, and ren wax. Somebody like Cynthia Gibson could make this amazing with pyrography, but I'd ruin something like that if I tried. What a cool piece!

Another vote to keep it as is! There is nothing in the wood to enhance with color... so I would preserve this just as it is - including the matte finish!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I might try a tie dye so to speak using large rubber bands to mask between colors and finish with lacquer.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I attached a picture of a River Birch vessel I turned. I didn't bleach mine, but died the natural wood purple and sanded back and applied a lacquer finish.
    Birch (purple3).jpg

I do love a nice, white piece and I agree that keeping it as is would be your best bet, I'm sure.

Though if you were feeling creative, think of the vessel as a blank canvas. Stand a few feet back with a few cups of paint and channel your inner Jackson Pollock.

Hey Kathy, just wish I had someone who would give something as nice as this!
    I hate to fly in the face of Creeker artists but like Marty, to me this looks like a blank canvas.
    Yes is it great as is but with something like a winter scene. I can see some graceful trees without leaves . . .
    You must understand of course that I am not much of an artist so this whole idea should probably be discarded but as has been said on another thread, without our feedback a lot of the value of this Forum would be lost.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .