Thread: new photos from new set up

new photos from new set up

I used a #09 gradient backdrop and homemade soft boxes. Photos were taken with my phone.
    First is a curl maple and the second is masur birch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice photo and great wood work. Amazing what a simple backdrop can do.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

The backdrop looks good but you are in way too close and the pictures exhibit major barrel distortion. Try moving the camera back a bit and "zooming out". Then you can crop the image as you wish. (Did I sound like Jamie Donaldson?)
    David DeCristoforo

Yup... what Jamie said!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good eye David, this is definitely an example of the "fat lady effect," but I was just marveling about the clarity of the image. Most users don't remember to wipe off the finger smudges over the phone/camera lens that "soften" the images. What type of cellphone was this anyway, it's very good? I do recommend unbalancing the light positions, to enhance the appearance of depth. Simply lower and move further away either 1 of the softboxes, and this will work even better for a shiny surface, to remove the twin headlight/highlights that are very distracting.
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 02-04-2012 at 7:33 PM.

Where did you get no. 9 gradient?

Thanks for input, taking pictures is always very frustrating for me I can never get it right. Jamie the phone is the Samsung Galaxy IIS, takes better photos than my Nikon point and shoot. Robert I found the backdrop online at Photo Tech Inc. I'll have more time tomorrow to try more pics.

Nicely done, Ryan! I think I've finally read Jamie's suggestions enough times that I'm beginning to actually understand what to look for in a photo... Now, I just need to apply that info to my own shots!FWIW, the new iPhone has an 8 megapixel camera which makes for a pretty clear image... Looks like the Samsung has got plenty of resolution as well.