Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Behr's Primer-Paint combo?

Anyone use Behr's Primer-Paint combo?

I'm preparing to paint my shop interior. I've found the color I want and am going w/ Behr (personal preference). Has anyone used the Behr primer/paint in one product and if so, what do you think of it? Might save a coat but I don't mind tinting the primer and finishing up with one coat. BTW, I plan to use exterior paint since this shop will be open sometimes. Thanks for any info.

BTW, here is the link to the shop:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nd-on-new-shop

2. I used that brand and combination to paint my parents house a couple of years ago. I still did two coats. The paint is holding up well so far. I would be really dissappointed if any paint failed in a couple of years.

I use Behr paint for most of my painting needs but was not really excited with the primer combo paint. It was more expensive and I still had to do two coats. I usually do three coats on Sheetrock. PVA to cover the Sheetrock and mud (I have the PVA pigmented to the final color) as my primer then put two coats of Behr regular paint over that. The only other paint I use is the ceiling paint that is colored when wet but dries white. I use this because my eyes can't separate the wet from the dry when doing ceilings and I paint ceilings white most of the time.
    David B

When buying from HD I will only buy the "Ultra". Covers great, usually one one coat needed with a good roller (sureline) I painted our kitchen with that paint ("Spice" basically a red color) and only used one coat. Has held up to me and three kids so it has had my vote ever since.

If you find the color in the "regular" Behr samples that you like they can make it using the "Ultra" just as a FYI. I've also used SW super paint and loved it.

Never have used the exterior version of this product so no comment on that.

FWIW, the wife swears by Ultra and won`t buy anything else for interior painting. ( She changes wall colors at least once a year and does not not know the meaning of understated or subtle color)
    Last edited by Randy Rose; 02-07-2012 at 6:02 PM.

For fresh rock I would absolutely use a tinted PVA before going to paint. It may work well over previous paint but the sheet rock is going to suck up a LOT.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The job of a primer is quite different from the job that a top coat has to do, so any product that tries to do both is less effective than using "single purpose" products. I've used those premium paints from Behr, but I always prime first (usually with Bullseye 1-2-3).

For shop primer consider taking all your current left over paint and mixing it in a 5 gallon bucket. Saves money and gets rid of all those cans in your basement. JMO

I just finished painting the ceiling and one wall of my shop with the Behr combination primer and top coat. Both ceiling and walls are 5 mm plywood, bare wood. Two coats of this combo paint did not adequately cover the plywood. A 3rd coat was needed. For the other three walls I used one coat of Behr primer and two coats of Behr semi-gloss top coat. The coverage of the separate primer and one top coat was better than that of the combination primer and top coat after two coats. The same was true after two coats of conventional top coat on top of primer compared to three coats of the combination primer and top coat. So, my conclusion is that for covering bare wood the Behr combination primer and top coat is a gimmic that doesn't work. It cost more than conventional primer and top coat, saves no effort, and does not provide coverage as good.

I recognize that the results when painting bare drywall might be different, but I won't be buying any combination primer/top coat in the future.

Bob

I just started using the Behr Primer and Paint in my garage shop, covering the pure black cabinets and yellow walls with "Pot of Creme" White paint. I use two coats and I'm done. I'm very satisfied.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

In the course of having a new roof put on my house, I ended up having to replace some facia too. I used the dual purpose Behr paint. Though I was skeptical, one coat did the job on the bare wood and it's held up so far but it's not even been a year yet. I plan on painting the entire house this summer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My neighbor down the street is a chemist—a chemist for the company that manufactures additives for Behr paint. I commented to him one day that since primers and top coats perform two totally different functions, the combination product seemed more of a marketing fantasy than a chemist’s dream-come-true.

He smiled. Nodded his head ever so slightly, and changed the subject.

I just used it (ultra white) in a newly drywalled room in our home. It did not perform any differently from regular primer, IMHO. It definitely requires a second coat. I also found it to level not as well as other regular straight paints I've used from BMoore; it dried very quickly and with brush and lap marks - even on the ceiling which had aleady been painted.

I used the regular Behr in my bedroom and found it to cover poorly. Other paints are twice the price, though - hard to argue about that.

I used it recently on my router table cabinet and it worked VERY well. Agree with Van in that I wouldn't use it on bare rock. I did use two coats, as it seemed one just wasn't perfect enough for me. Also, mine was the ULTRA mix. Other than that, I've been very pleased with the results.

Blog Entries
    My experience with the Behr Ultra is that I prefer the Behr Premium Plus product as it goes on like melted butter, the Ultra drags on the brush a bit more. And I usually am able to get it done in one coat. I did use the Ultra recently in a deep red (cinnamon I think it was called) and it needed 2 coats, but it was a drastic color change. When my kids want me to paint, I insist on Behr Premium Plus, no Kmart special paint, no fancy schmancy $60 a gallon paint either. The exception was when I painted cabinets and needed a self leveling paint, I went to a Sherwin Williams premium paint.

The key to one coat paint is to use a professional brush and a premium roller cover. SW contractor brush works for me and I like the Pudy White Dove or Gold Dove roller covers. But then I clean them after each use so the price ends up at about a buck a job for the cover.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-08-2012 at 9:50 PM.