Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Child safety and sanding

I agree that the 3 year-olds will lose interest in about 5 minutes. But there will be 1 or 2 that don't. Since the OP is indicating "refinish", my concern would be what the old finish is that is being sanded off. If it's paint, is it old paint, possibly lead-based paint?

Thanks for all the great perspectives, as far as duration of interest, or the teacher doing it for them... well that is part of what is different at a Montessori school. I too think contracting the children for my projects sounds like a great idea. I hate sanding! They of course have to paint it because you know they won't be going with the grain I think a dust mask would have limited impact since the seal would be so poor.

If it is bare wood, I wouldn't worry.

If it is old, and painted, I'd be getting on the phone pronto. There is no safe level of lead exposure. Three years old is too young to be sanding something which may contain lead, or to be around someone ELSE sanding something which may contain lead.

http://www.chem.unep.ch/pops/pdf/lead/leadexp.pdf

You may want to find out what the kids will really be doing and go from there. It may be they all stand around with a 2x2 block of 120 grit for 5 minutes with the teacher finishing it later. Then all get their paint brushes and have at it. Also by asking what the project is about it maybe you could volunteer to help. A nice way to put your skills to use.

Knowing what we know as woodworkers we may be assuming way too much or way too little.
    Don