Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need ideas for Boy Scout woodworking merit badge project

I think a box (either tool box or jewelry box, or recipe card box or keepsake box; any box) is a good project. Keep the joinery simple: butt joints with dowels or screws and plugs. Use mitered, applied molding around the base or lid for decoration.

People tend to keep and use boxes made in shop classes for a lifetime.

Dear Mr Ingraham:

I looked up the merit badge requirements. all the tools should be readily available except for maybe the brace and bit.

If you don't have one I will send you one as a troop tool.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

I just did some projects with the Weblos (10 yr old Cub Scouts). Most of them have a hard time driving finish nails in pine, so none of the tool boxes went together the least bit square.
    For the second project we made step stools. I cut some oak veneered plywood with dadoes before hand so all they had to do was glue them together. We put some wood screws in the cross brace for added safety. Having projects that self-align makes things a LOT easier. I'd encourage use of dowels and such. Also, Danish Oil is SO much easier to apply than paint, and it looks great on oak.

I don't know if that helps with the requirements of the Boy Scouts, but for the sake of those who will run across this thread looking for Cub Scout help, I figured I should share.

Toolbox.

I helped a friend of mine with his scout group. Get plenty of helpers and keep the joinery simple. We used some nails and screws.

Some type of wall mount display box for MERIT BADGES !