Thread: Recent cribbage board

Recent cribbage board

Finished a cribbage board for a friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with cancer. He spends a lot of time at home resting, and since taking up woodworking about a year ago I gravitated toward making cribbage boards and offered to make him one. With the help of a group at work with a laser engraver I added a nice double-meaning message on the back for him (cribbage opponent, cancer). I really liked how this one turned out.

It's maple or hickory (I buy cutoffs from a local cabinet shop and the piece I got had "Hick" written on the end, but I think it looked more like maple due to the reddish grain) and the inlays and border are jatoba (Brazillian cherry).

I cheat and pre-calculate my hole spacings and then use a Bridgeport mill at work to pre-drill 1/16" holes before finishing. Then I finish (General Finishes wiping oil & urethane semi-gloss in this case) and then use a drill press free hand to bore out the 1/16" pilots to 1/8". This way my holes are literally perfectly straight and aligned. Thanks for any comments! I'm trying to work my way up to all the other amazing work I see on this forum!

2fsoe - Imgur.jpgFnKzn - Imgur.jpgIUUrV - Imgur.jpgQwZ7C - Imgur.jpgRZrvd - Imgur.jpgX3Ppc - Imgur.jpgKBOYw - Imgur.jpg

Blog Entries
    Great looking board. Your friend will surely like it. Our best wishes for him.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice John. Do you have a trick for those nice clean holes? I always get some tear out on the edges.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I really like that one too. Is it a rookie question to ask how you did the arrows?

@Bruce Page: Well, the pilot holes are done with a 1/16" end mill, so super sharp and rigid. A lot for me depends on the wood. Getting finish on before the final 1/8" holes also might help just keep all those fibers bonded together. A lot depends on the wood. I can post pics of some other boards with jatoba as the main wood -- that stuff is super hard and dense, but likes to chip out like nothing I've ever used. So, pilot holes and luck is my answer, and in that order

@Peter J Lee: Not a rookie question at all! They are inlays. I use a coping saw to cut them out and then sand all six until they are the same size. Once they're right, the process is:
    -- Double side tape them to the wood
    -- Trace them with an exacto knife
    -- Remove them
    -- Trace the exacto cut with mechanical pencil
    -- Use a 1/16" router to route up to the pencil line (getting as close as I can to the corners)
    -- Use an exacto knife to chip/cut away at the corners
    -- Keep shaving the recess until the triangle feels like it will go in
    -- Sand the triangle with a bevel on the inserting side to make sure it wedges in there nice
    -- Apply glue to the recess, insert the inlay, clamp using a piece of wood covered in blue painters tape
    -- Pull off in 30-60min
    -- Level down to the surface with a card scraper

I learned everything I know about inlays from this Wood Whisperer vid: thewoodwhisperer.com/router-based-inlay/

Beautiful work. I really want to make one for my daughter, but the holes have scared me off.

Thanks John.

@Jack: The holes are tricky. I'm lucky in that I have the Bridgeport mill access. Just clamp the board in and know where your holes are within 0.001"

Other options I considered were getting some of those guide templates from Rockler or online. Something like this: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10120.

I actual made my own template in a drawing program such that I could easily adjust the hole spacing because my boards tend not to be the same length. It's just a simple down and back path, but it works well enough for me. From what I've heard in looking for how to do this well, some other things that can help:
    -- Tape a paper template to the board and punch each hole by hand to make a divot
    -- Pilot drill with a stubby bit (ones that are much shorter for increased rigidity)
    -- Use a new, sharp bit

You might even want to see how some test holes work using a router bit. Those are more similar to end mill bits and are designed to be plunged and very rigid. I tried the hand punching thing and that just didn't work so well. You could try and see how much it would cost for someone to laser cut you a template? Anyway, there's some ideas for you!

P.S. just noticed that the Wood Whisperer vid didn't show up above... it's: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/router-based-inlay/

Really well done ... and what a thoughtful gesture as well; your friend will no doubt cherish the board, but more importantly, the friendship.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand