Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1,000+ for Ugly, No Wonder the Shipping is Free

Blog Entries

$1,000+ for Ugly, No Wonder the Shipping is Free

My morning coffee ritual had me perusing the NY Times when I noticed the advertisement for a plywood chair from hivemodern dot com.

Some of the chairs are interesting, but they all seemed to be priced for those in the billionaire club.

I think I just need to put high price tags on the chairs I make and wait for a few billionaires to happen by.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm not sure of the specific chairs you are looking at but there are IMO certianly some nice molded plywood chairs from that website. The Eames chairs come to mind and at about half the $1k cost you quoted. Not cheap but worth the price IMO. Some of Gehry's work on the other hand, is not so nice asthetically and significantly more costly. I guess in the end it all comes down to opinion and taste. If I could have a home full of mid century modern and newer furniture I would, and some modern arts and crafts too.

Just browsed their site quickly - I immediately see a fair amount of stuff I like, and a fair amount of stuff I don't. But I went to the seating section, clicked "view all" and sorted by price, highest first. I was just amazed that there is furniture that costs more than all the cars I've bought, combined. Heck, the highest priced sofa costs more than I've brought home in a years pay in not too decent years. Granted, as we discussed before in that other long thread, the value proposition is a personal one. And I'm at a point in my life where I'm willing to spend more on a piece of furniture (either in money or time and materials to create) if I think it will then last me the rest of my life, as opposed to making due with something that needs to be replaced in a few years. But the value proposition for a 5 figure sofa is just so far removed from concept of what would ever make sense, I'm a little stunned.

There are a few places that sell small-production lighting and bath fixtures, that are the same way. It's just kind of interesting.

Makes you want to try the "sell one item at a large price as opposed to selling 100 at a decent one", but I'm not sure how you make that work! I mean, I can't just make something and then post it on etsy or eBay and ask 10K for it - there's got to be some trick to getting people with money to take you seriously . . .

Maybe these folks are just really terrible at running a business, and the 5 figure prices are actually required to cover their costs!

You should see the fretsaws they use to make those.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I guess it all comes down to personal opinion.

I am not much one for plywood, steam bent or otherwise.

I do like mission style furniture, arts & craft period and many other styles. My folks owned a furniture store, so I learned a little on the subject.

The thing that got me started in woodworking was the desire for some chairs in my back yard that were wood, not plastic.

Granted there are some items on the pages that do look nice, but for the price they should be gold plated.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My morning coffee ritual had me perusing the NY Times when I noticed the advertisement for a plywood chair from hivemodern dot com.

Some of the chairs are interesting, but they all seemed to be priced for those in the billionaire club.

I think I just need to put high price tags on the chairs I make and wait for a few billionaires to happen by.

jtk
    Stop selling chairs and start selling art (that looks like a chair)

Blog Entries
    Stop selling chairs and start selling art (that looks like a chair)
    It only looks like a chair...

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    You should see the fretsaws they use to make those.Mike
    Now that's funny!

Steve

It's hard to appreciate Frank Gerhy's work. His "Deconstructivism" is cartoonish at best. My father, who was a noted furniture designer, called guys like him architectural decorators. If you want to see his crappiest work to date, while not outlandish - it's merely as exciting as a bucket of slop, look at what he's designed for the Eisenhower Memorial in DC.

if you couldn't tell, I'm not a Gehry fan. There are many modernists I appreciate. He's not one of them.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 02-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Maurice

Ghery strikes me as the equivalent of pop culture (music, movies, etc). People become convinced something is good, even if it isn't because they are told it is good. The Ghery chairs simply reinforced my notion that he has much less talent than he is touted to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Ghery strikes me as the equivalent of pop culture (music, movies, etc). People become convinced something is good, even if it isn't because they are told it is good. The Ghery chairs simply reinforced my notion that he has much less talent than he is touted to have.
    I couldn't agree more!
    Maurice

I think some designer from the 60's must have escaped the funny farm and found a place to roost.

I don't know. When people look at a Gehry building they say, is that a Gehry? When people see a modernist building as proscribed by sour grapes dullard architecture profs who seem only able to make buildings from the shapes contained in a child's building block set, they say, is that soviet-style school of brutalist architecture concrete pillbox missing some bullet marks and twisted, rusty rebar? Or would that have been too reminiscent of something resembling humanity? I see a future of gray, unlovely, featureless downtown federal building structures, with rows of windows shiny as the silver dollars on a dead man's eyelids, corporate sculpture out front, filled with ikea-style cookie cutter band sawed furniture, the two-dimensional people going in and out being as conformist and imaginative as ants. It's awful, it's everywhere, and it's ready for the wrecking ball. And they can keep their blocky, uncomfortable looking furniture too.

I'm somewhat of a modernist fanboy but here's a Frank Lloyd Wright quote about his furniture (which was a bit blocky):

"I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture."
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 02-19-2012 at 2:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    I don't know. When people look at a Gehry building they say, is that a Gehry? When people see a modernist building as proscribed by sour grapes dullard architecture profs who seem only able to make buildings from the shapes contained in a child's building block set, they say, is that soviet-style school of brutalist architecture concrete pillbox missing some bullet marks and twisted, rusty rebar? Or would that have been too reminiscent of something resembling humanity? I see a future of gray, unlovely, featureless downtown federal building structures, with rows of windows shiny as the silver dollars on a dead man's eyelids, corporate sculpture out front, filled with ikea-style cookie cutter band sawed furniture, the two-dimensional people going in and out being as conformist and imaginative as ants. It's awful, it's everywhere, and it's ready for the wrecking ball. And they can keep their blocky, uncomfortable looking furniture too.
    I don't know...Eero Saarinen certainly wasn't blocky. He understood fluid movement. Gehry understands cartoons.
    Maurice