Thread: Cute Joinery Bench

Cute Joinery Bench

Tripped over this while searching for workbench images to get some ideas:

x_IMG_6493.jpg

Found it on some auction aggregator site. Dimensions are listed as 30" H, 15" W, 31" L, wood is listed as walnut, age is given as ~1850.

Figured I'd post it because it's just generally neat, and there are occasional discussions of dedicated joinery benches. But it's also pertinent to me right now. I'm now in a place where I can really sort out the work-holding options on my current bench, but it's got one fundamental flaw. When I was gluing it up, I used the wrong type of screws to hold the flat laminations together and the heads snapped off a bunch of them. So if I want to excavate sections of it for vises, I have a whole lot of little landmines just waiting for my router bits and saw blades. I'm thinking of drilling the rest of the dog holes (which I can do safely), calling it done, and building something like the above.

Or just wait a day or two and I'll have changed my mind a handful of times.

Very cool. Obviously for an itinerant woodworker - maybe on a sailing ship? Fun to imagine where it's been .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Why is there an iron cap on top of the leg vise chop?

Wow, that is one massive holdfast. Looks just like the one on the Roubo plate that Christopher Scwartz recently had copied.
    Salem
    Last edited by Salem Ganzhorn; 02-20-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Why is there an iron cap on top of the leg vise chop?
    Possibly a repair, or there for reinforcement.

Yeah, the holdfast was the first thing I noticed. And only one dog hole too, it seems, but I guess with such a small work surface the holdfast can reach any part of the bench. I could just see some dude using this thing for a wine display or something. Also, makes me wonder how much our benches will sell for in 150 years.

I swear,I think that short bench would have to be bolted to the wall to not tip over with using a plane on it.