Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought you coudn't slide any farther down....

Just when you thought you coudn't slide any farther down....

Just when I thought I couldn't become any more obsessed with handtools, I stepped into my office this morning and found myself looking at my tape dispenser thinking "man, that looks like a great design for a hand plane. Lovely rounded over back, nice up swept horn on the front.... etc...." Planes on the brain.... Help me, I have problem!
    IMG00289.jpg

I've thought the same things many times... They've got you in a stranglehold now. No choice but to dive in even further.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Perhaps I will model my next plane making attempt after this rather than a coffin smoother.

Thing is, I've been using nothing but handtools for over 2 of the 3 or so years I've been woodworking. I thought I was as far down as I could go. Then guys like you, Leigh, George, and Dave had to come along at get me interested in making my own tools - it's whole other slope entirely, one which I will ride down joyously

Five bucks says one of the Lee Valley boffins picks up the idea for their upcoming April flyer...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Five bucks says one of the Lee Valley boffins picks up the idea for their upcoming April flyer...
    Nah...

We already have a better one....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/mp1.jpg
    http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/mp2.jpg

Cheers -

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 02-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.

...'sides, we got us sumthin' else coming in April....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    ...'sides, we got us sumthin' else coming in April....
    Hint please????

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hint please????
    Ok...

*early* April.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Ok...

*early* April.....
    Thanks for the clarification...

My tape dispenser hand plane will be way cooler anyway

Rob, do you just want my credit card now? I've got a good/bad feeling, oh I don't know, just send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Chavez View Post
    Rob, do you just want my credit card now? I've got a good/bad feeling, oh I don't know, just send it.
    Before you commit Joey, check back early April..... like... as early as possible in April....nudge,nudge, wink,wink...

Rob

I won't miss it, I'm on the site everyday managing my wish list. As much fun to plan a purchase as it is to use them when they arrive. Just received the large router plane a couple days ago, a tool I was a little skeptical about how much use I would give it. After a few test runs the imagination soared, very nice tool!

Just received the large router plane a couple days ago, a tool I was a little skeptical about how much use I would give it. After a few test runs the imagination soared, very nice tool!
    One my favorites! Use it all the time. Its one of those tools that the longer you own it the more uses you find for it.

Yes, I was amazed at just a few lazy test cuts, I'm sold.

Although I do recall a past April fools joke coming from the LV site, that may be the wink and nudge. I've been waiting for the Plow plane enhancements that were hinted in the past.

Yes, I was amazed at just a few lazy test cuts, I'm sold.

Although I do recall a past April fools joke coming from the LV site, that may be the wink and nudge. I've been waiting for the Plow plane enhancements that were hinted in the past.
    No wink and nudge on the plow enhancements... in production now, and will be available about the end of April.

Cheers -

Rob