Glen,
I kind of figured the stepper was rated to small for an Epilog. I'm going to see about replacing it because of the voltage rating. I dont know how common a 48 v is but I'll be starting a search tomorrow. I got the gears off tonight and broke the larger one. Looks like Bill didn't want it taken apart. My check is also stuck. The threads were loose on the chuch and there is not backing plate so if you tighten it up it jams up agains the mount. For the gear ratio I glued a nail to the end of the stepper motor and began the exciting process of counting how many times it turns. Here is what I found.
1.5 turns = 1 inch
3 turns= 2 inches
6 turns= 4 inches
6.75 turns = 4.5 inches
and I think 1 turns = .75 inch if i wrote it down correctly.

The gear on the stepper was 20 and the one on the chuck was 130. I think that 1 to 6.5 but I'll never know because I broke the gear. Stepper motor shaft was bent when I received it also. I wrote down the wiring and took picture but its to late to post. I think the only reason Bill sent me the rotary is because I got him 3K for making an item for my company in which he only delivered half and the work was shotty. For the chuck I want it to egrave around pens and such but mostly for doing some inlay on pens. I'm in the for $500 so I'll throw so more money at it and get it to work. What get me is that is was farily easy for me to get the gear ratio. Bill must has used just any gear laying around his shop to put on the rotary. Sad thing is that is does work even if the motor and gear ratios are wrong.