Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding a Band Saw Blade into 4 loops not 3

Success fellows,
    Actually it didn't take that long to figure out once I thought about what Joe had said. I went into the shop grabbed a 1/4 inch blade and tried it a few times. Then I grabbed a 1/2 inch one and got it the first time. So then I got the 1 inch carbide blade and it took a couple of tries because it is so stiff but once I got it to that point it went into the 5 loop fold.

Heres how I did it. Got it to the 3 loop fold and then as Joe said I made two of the loops small with one loop large and then with the teeth facing out grabbed it with a reverse grip and pushed it down and with a twist and it sort of went into the two other loops to give a 5 loop fold. Smaller bandsaw blades fold up really nice, the 1 inch Tri Master folds ok but it is a bit bulkier than the other two since it's so stiff. Once in the 5 fold though it is ok. Now I don't have to buy cleaning solution by the 55 gallon drum to clean blades.

So thanks for all your help. Oh and Neil, thanks for the physics lesson. Nice to know all is well in your universe.....

Ben

Blog Entries
    I found this on another site:

1.Go get a bandsaw blade to practice with, preferably between 1/4" and 1/2" wide. Hold the uncoiled blade in a horizontal circle in front of you, teeth up. For the purpose of this discussion, we'll identify 6 o'clock as the point nearest your navel; 12 o'clock is the point farthest from you.

2.Support the bandsaw blade with your left hand at about 9 o'clock: palm up, fingers below the blade pointing toward 2 o'clock, thumb closing lightly over the top.

3.Hold the other side of the bandsaw blade with your right hand at 3 o'clock: palm down, fingers above the blade pointing left toward 10 o'clock, thumb wrapped lightly beneath.

4.Move your hands toward each other to halve the distance between them, squeezing the blade into an oval.

5.Without moving your elbow, bend your left wrist up toward you as if you were tipping a beer.

6.Without moving your elbow, bend your right wrist down as if you were casting a fly. When both fists are roughly vertical (like holding a steering wheel), the bandsaw blade will be bent into the shape of a saddle, with high lobes left and right, low lobes front and back.

7.Without moving your elbow, rotate your left wrist 45° clockwise, bringing the left lobe of the saddle down to the right.

8.Without moving your elbow, rotate your right wrist about 45° counterclockwise, bringing the right lobe down to the left above the left lobe. As you rotate your wrists you'll see the low lobe at your navel moving up and forward, while the front low lobe moves back toward it. It doesn't matter which lies above the other.

9.Keep on rotating your left wrist, letting your hand migrate toward 6 o'clock, until the left lobe (now a loop) is horizontal.

10.Rotate your right wrist, letting your hand move to 12 o'clock, until its loop, too, is horizontal.

11.Step back and admire. If you've been living right and thinking good thoughts, you just coiled a bandsaw blade! If it didn't work perfectly, never fear. It was only a first try, after all. Have another go at it, one sentence at a time. Sooner or later it'll work, and there'll be a new bandsaw blade coiling expert in the woodworking world.

Steps 1-11 will get you 3 coils....for four you need to do the following:
    To get the 4th loop:
    Once you have the 3 and before you let go with your left hand, shuffle the loops so that the loop you are holding with your left hand is 2-3 times the diameter of the other loops.
    Continue rotating your hands as per above (left hand towards you, right hand away from you, and the 4th loop will appear.
    May take a little practice, but it works.

YMMV (I've not tried this myself)
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you are doing this to clean your blades have you tried cleaning them on the machine? Soak a board in diesel fuel for a few days then cut it up on the band saw and your blade will clean itself as it cuts.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Excellent instructions, Lee.

My Wood Slicer ... having made a very musical "SPROING !" noise ... is now stuck in my ceiling joists.

Little help ???
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    My Wood Slicer ... having made a very musical "SPROING !" noise ... is now stuck in my ceiling joists.

Little help ???
    Whatcha need, drums? Brass?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I fold my thinner 105" blades 4 times.
    Do it the regular way, pull a large loop from that, and fold the loop once.
    Never could get a 1/2" blade to do it, but the thinner ones will.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Whatcha need, drums? Brass?
    Since I've got wind (!), that would be a good start
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Fellows you've all been a huge help I appreciate the help. Pretty amazing you forget how well a good clean blade cuts. I cleaned 3 blades today and I'm sure I'll not forget how to do it after this.

After cleaning the blades I was surprised to see how much gunk was in the pan afterwards. Especially the big blades.

Again, thank you very much for your imput.
    Ben