Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JET 708476 Model JJP-12HH 12-Inch Planer/Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

JET 708476 Model JJP-12HH 12-Inch Planer/Jointer with Helical Cutterhead

I currently have a Ridgid jointer (6 inch) and planer (12 inch) and wanted to upgrade. This months issue of Fine Woodworking, they compare the Grizzly and the Jet combo machines (12 inch). They liked the Grizzly and Jet, but suggested the Jet with the Helical head is the best for the added $1000.
    It seems that you can get this combination unit for about $3000.
    Those of you who have this model, do you like it and have any input as to other options like seperate machines?
    Am I better off getting a 15 inch Grizzly planer and 8inch jointer, each with their own spiral-Helical heads for about the same price...The drawback is the jointer would not be 12 inches...
    I appreciate the input.
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Ginsberg; 03-01-2012 at 11:58 AM.

I have the Hammer 12" combo, but if I had the space, I'd absolutely go for separate machines. And I'm not sure you need a helical head in your jointer - just run a final very light pass on the jointed side with your helical planer. The money you save might allow you to upgrade to a 12" jointer.

I went from that same combination of sizes to the machine you are looking at and I love it. Changeover really isn't an issue at all and any inconvenience is far outweighed by having a 12" jointer in not much more footprint than either previous machine alone.

Matt,
    Is there anything about this machine you do not like?

I have the original JJP-12. I thought it was a decent, if underwhelming machine. A few months ago I had the Jet helical cutter head (and new bearings) installed, and the difference was startling. I now think of this machine as top-notch, and would buy another if needed. Performance on all types of wood is outstanding. Changeover takes about a minute and does not bother me. I could not fit separate machines in my shop.

I made a similar upgrade. While my shop has enough space for separate machines, a shop never really has enough space. Not only is the footprint of a combination machine smaller, I only have to worry about adequate infeed- and outfeed space for one machine instead of two. Having a helical head in both the jointer and planer is wonderful. Zero tear out, and no more fussy jointer knives to set. Changeover is fast, most of the effort goes into lowering the table (to make room for the dust hood) when converting from planer back to jointer.

Jointing long boards (longer than 6ft) can be a challenge. With some roller stands it's doable, but that's the only time I wish the machine was bigger. I tend to cut my pieces to rough size first, so it rarely comes up. I've purchased enough boards that are wider than 8" to really appreciate the extra capacity a 12" jointer provides.

I wrote a review a while back, which you can find here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    Matt,
    Is there anything about this machine you do not like?
    About the only thing I could complain about is that the chip collection in jointer mode isn't great and I end up with a pile on the planer bed. My friend's Minimax does the exact same thing though.

Bas...
    Wow. I think you have sold me on this... You must work for Jet... LOL...

I have the grizzly. Quality-wise is is fantastic. I have a Hammer bandsaw. Although it's not a JP, quality wise I see no difference. (I know this riles up the euro JP owners.)
    In that same FWW article, you can see that the JET converts faster than the grizzly. It is not a problem for me, as I use the grizzly as a jointer only. But it is a serious consideration. I have seen that the JET SCH can be had for not much more than the grizzly. (toolnut? maybe combined with a JET sale which seems to run every so often). There is a HP difference, weight and jointer length difference. I like the grizzly's 59" table length. I used to have a 6" jointer and it is about the same length. There is nothing that will tip this 600+ pound JP over.
    Consider keeping the lunchbox planer for now, and you would still have two separate options. Upgrade the planer later. That's my plan.
    I wouldn't buy a non-SCH jointer, myself. Euro or otherwise!

The Jet is a very nice combo for the price especially if you get it on sale.

I would suggest considering the Hammer A3-31, it may actually be the best buy in the 12" J/P category. Most will agree there is a deceent amount of difference between the Austrian built and Chinese/Taiwan built machines. The is a lot of discussion about it lately, I always find it interesting discussions about machines tend to come in groups here, nothing for a few months then ever other thread is about a particular machine.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-01-2012 at 8:01 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Be prepared to spare some extra time to "readjust" when you change back and forth from jointer to planer with the Jet J/P combo.

The Jet's a nice tool for $2000. For $3000, I'd be hard pressed to recommend it over the Hammer, even with straight knives.

Do you have one, Ruhi? Mine doesn't drift between changeovers. Mine just seems to drift with time.

I did have one but no longer. A3-31 replaced mine...

It took me a while to figure out that when I did a changeover which was often, it didn't retain the prior adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan eagle View Post
    I have the grizzly. Quality-wise is is fantastic. I have a Hammer bandsaw. Although it's not a JP, quality wise I see no difference. (I know this riles up the euro JP owners.)
    In that same FWW article, you can see that the JET converts faster than the grizzly. It is not a problem for me, as I use the grizzly as a jointer only. But it is a serious consideration. I have seen that the JET SCH can be had for not much more than the grizzly. (toolnut? maybe combined with a JET sale which seems to run every so often). There is a HP difference, weight and jointer length difference. I like the grizzly's 59" table length. I used to have a 6" jointer and it is about the same length. There is nothing that will tip this 600+ pound JP over.
    Consider keeping the lunchbox planer for now, and you would still have two separate options. Upgrade the planer later. That's my plan.
    I wouldn't buy a non-SCH jointer, myself. Euro or otherwise!
    Jonathan, if you're going to continue using a separate planer, why get a combo machine? Why not a 12" jointer? Just curious. One thing for those considering a combo machine to keep in mind. With a separate planer you can leave the planer set for depth so that if you need to plane an additional piece after planing most of the stock for a project, the planer's depth may still be where it was for the other pieces. With a combo machine lowering the planer table to use the jointer will change the planer's depth setting. I would recommend a digital readout on the planer bed. That way you can plane to say, .75", lower the planer bed to use the jointer and move the planer bed back to .75" repeatably. Might save some fussin' and cussin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Jonathan, if you're going to continue using a separate planer, why get a combo machine? Why not a 12" jointer?
    My guess is cost, the least expensive (new) 12" jointer on the market is more expensive than the Grizzly 12" J/P. IMHO it as false economy since the bit population on the Grizzly 12" J/P is VERY low (32 bits) the G0609X has 60 bits and the cost is not that much different. More bits = better finish. Those are the two biggest issues with the Grizzly 634 J/Ps: low bit population and the Rube Goldberg changeover. The Jet has it beat on changeover, 56 bits vs 32 bits and has a shear vs straight cutterhead, but it is more expensive by about $650 ($400 over the 634Z) unless it is on sale.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.