Thread: Got my O flute bits, first attempt

Got my O flute bits, first attempt

Well I got my new O flute bits and decided to buckle down and see what I could do with them. Here is what I ended up doing.

I used a Onsrud 63-775 to mill the vise plates and a Whiteside SA1600 to mill the gear.

i enjoy milling aluminum and when i get it right it is even better !! good work

The correct bit is important. I also tried a 1/8" Onsrud 63-610 bit on the gear. It cut the great but left striations on the cut edges. I changed to the whiteside O flut and they were nice and shiny. Since I like to brush the aluminum I may go back to the Onsrud bit.

Clamping is as important as the bit. Any movement or excessive vibration can screw with the cut.

With the plate I used did a speed of 60IPM and plunge of 1 with a .25 ramp. I took .03 passes. I’m sure I could have been much more aggressive but I was fighting against my wood clamps.

On the gear I cut at 40IPM and plunged at 10 with 1" ramp. and took off .02 per pass. The longer ramp and faster plunge worked out much better. Again I think I could be much more aggressive.