Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

Blog Entries

Nothing, actually. They would be a good choice, too.

I wish they were offered in 2, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 in 1/4" thick, though.

I used on of those Lee Valley irons for the infill I made. It's very good blade. Just keep in mind if you want to have an adjustable plane you will need to figure out a way to attach the adjuster. I built a clamping system into the adjuster for mine, but that more machining than most folks have the capability for.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post

Too short, not tapered.

Well, when you want to make a free style woodie, no problem in using these. But when you look to making a traditional plane, these irons just don't cut it.
    Another source for plane blades is the plane iron shop. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Plane-Iron-Shop
    They sell old irons. I bought some single iron ones and of course, they need work, but they are a good choice for not much money.

Ok fellers here's my toothing plane. It works OK, pushes harder than I thought it would, I guess because it's bedded at 70*. I think it's tuned pretty well but it is hard to get the exact depth set. Once I get it set it makes some nice spaghetti curls. I also made the iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

My shooter is nearly finished now. It came out nice. The downside is, that it doesn't work nice with the vintage blade that was intended to be used. This blade is from an Ulmia jointer and was former combined with a chipbreaker. I thought that it should work without CB as well since it is about 4 mm thick. It doesn't however. The blade chatters cruelly so I owe you some pics showing some shavings until the blade was replaced with a new one. It will get a 1/4" thick A2 blade that Gerd Fritsche will custom make for me.

Some pics so far:

P1030535k.jpgP1030534k.jpgP1030537k.jpgP1030542k.jpgP1030541k.jpg

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Wow Klaus, that is great looking. Just a really cool design! Too bad about the chatter, are you sure its the blade not a bed or wedge issue? Just curios, what kind of trouble shooting you've done. Looking forward to seeing the shaving when you get it totally up and running

Very nice Klaus. I knew you'd have something special for us.
    The Plane Anarchist

Klaus,

That is just wonderful; the straight grain, contoured handle/grip, and punctuated by neat strike button. Design is all about balance, and you have struck just the right balance here.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

Peter

Nice Klaus. The bevels on the topside are really classy. Do you have a side view of the grip/throat and escapement area?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kretschmar View Post
    This is one beauty of a plane.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Wow Klaus, that is great looking. Just a really cool design! Too bad about the chatter, are you sure its the blade not a bed or wedge issue? Just curios, what kind of trouble shooting you've done. Looking forward to seeing the shaving when you get it totally up and running
    Thank you, Chris. Actually it seems to be a blade problem. The bed is dead flat, it couldn't be better. The wedge made some problems since it was tricky to make skewed in 2 directions. It took some time but finally it had a very nice fit. So I'm pretty sure that it's the blade what's causing the problem.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    Nice Klaus. The bevels on the topside are really classy. Do you have a side view of the grip/throat and escapement area?
    Thank you, Trevor.

Here a pic of the grip/throat area.

P1030544k.jpg

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Thank you, Leigh, Peter and Bob!

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Klaus,I am delighted to see that you designed something extremely good from scratch. Too often,there are makers and manufacturers who copy things well,but totally lose it when they try to design something themselves.

Great looking plane. I like the handle very much.