Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wands

Wands

So my daughter is a Harry Potter fan - she's 10. I actually know several adult Potter fans as well. Occassionally I'll take some scrap and turn a wand as an exercise for me and a present for one of them. I was processing some rough sawn waney apple boards this weekend, and therefore had some apple offcuts (apple checks so much, there are often LOTS of offcuts!). Here are a few apple wands I made. I embedded some scraps in the end of two - ebony and bloodwood. The hardest part is shaping the long thin part as it tend to get whippy - you have to support it from the other side with your fingers as you skew. I actually try not to perfect them too much because I want to leave a bit of an organic feel. Anyone else ever make a wand for fun or spindle practice?

i made a hat pin once, nice wands

Here is a photo of one I made for my son.He took it to college with him and even on a trip at Christmas time to Harry Potter World Orlando.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Thanks, Charlie.

Jeff, that looks kind of reminicent of the Elder wand, if I'm not mistaken. Very cool.

Very cool. Some of the first things I turned on my lathe were a few wands for myself.

The real question at hand is...what kind of cores do they have? Phoenix feather? Unicorn hair?

What kind of chuck is that. It looks like a real winner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny Hines
    Greenville, NC

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hines View Post
    What kind of chuck is that. It looks like a real winner.
    Danny,

That wand is between centers, and there is a steady rest in the middle to keep the long thin spindle from whipping as it turns.........it just keeps it centered with support on the undersides...........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I made some wands for grandkids too, first one was Hawthorn for my wife. I usually use a slightly bent twig to make it though, and turn between centres till there's hardly any ghosting effect. That way you get some bark on the wand, and can sand it down to reveal the cambrium layer colours. Best wood I found so far was Buddhleia (sp?) because of the green and purple streaks in it.

My 11-year old grandson is also into Harry Potter. I taught him to turn and he makes his own wands. He gave a few to the neighbor's kids and is now the hit of the neighborhood.
    Bill Smith

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!

Those are some of the nicest wands I have seen. Great job!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Pretty nice wands!

On another note, your avatars are like a strobe light to an epileptic. Everyone of them makes me freak out!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice looking wands, Sean. Never made any of these, but should have. My sons said they could have sold many when they were in high school. Opportunity and preparation never coincided on that one! Think I will make one now, anyway. Looks like excellent spindle practice!
    John Altberg

13. I am new here but I love this forum for the amount of information present. Nice wands, I have been wanting to get ahold of some apple wood. Here are some of the wands I have turned and then some detail with the dremel.

Good looking wands Sean.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow, you really put some effort into it. Mine are 20 minute spindle turning exercises; yours are works of art!