Thread: Mesquite Burl Platter/Bowl

Mesquite Burl Platter/Bowl

Last weekend I finally got around to cutting apart the mesquite stump with the burl on it. It wasn't a large burl and someone had put a chainsaw kerf right down the middle of it, so that kind of limited how to cut out the blanks. I found another small burl when I turned the stump over, so I ended up with 3 blanks, one of which is long with plenty of wood underneath so I think I can get 2 or 3 small hfs from it.
    I turned this piece was from the 2nd burl on Friday. It was shallow (didn't stick out much from the log) and the surface was very irregular (had a big dip in the center of the bark side). I rearranged it a few times before I finally settled on an orientation (opposite of how I would have preferred) in a typical ne bowl blank orientation. Most of the burl figure was in the sapwood, but with the dip in the bark edge I would have turned away all of the sapwood in order to turn a tenon and the way the blank was I would have lost alot of the sides.

It's about 8 1/2" x 2 1/4 and has a coat of BLO so far. It still has a decent amount of figure, but the 1 drawback is the one straight wing which was where a branch was cut off, not much I could do about it.
    PICT0013-1.jpgPICT0018-2.JPGPICT0015-3.JPGPICT0016-4.JPG

And here it is with a little black accent piece , terrible pic but the "accent" wouldn't hold still .
    PICT0020-1.JPG

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That is an awesome piece of wood, Kathy!! I like what you did with it.

I am trying to recall the name of the pups you had, but cannot. I do recall I had never heard of them before and had to look it up. Cute!!! But, little!

you did a great job with that wood!

Beautiful wood and I like the form.

Great job.

Nice bowl, Kathy. Even with the one edge, it looks great!

Cute little puppy, too!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Great use of the burl Kathy. The ring of sapwood around the outside adds a lot. Too bad it is missing in that one spot. I have several of those "it could have been so perfect" pieces. The accent part makes up for it though.

Beautiful piece Kathy. Love the form and wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.