Thread: Pepper mills

Pepper mills

Hey folks,
    I have'nt posted anything in a while mnainly because an 18 month young grandbaby is keeping me busy but here are 3 pepper mills that were a special order. Local black walnut and red maple.

I started turning pepper and salt mills in the fall of last year and started out to just do a few for Christmas gifts for family and friends and it's kinda grown from there. These three put me over 50 completed and gone.

These are 16" tall. a little too tall for my liking for home use but then I try to turn to please.

Thanks for looking, C & C always welcome.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovely figure in the walnut. Nice job.

What finish did you use?

These are great looking mills but I especially like the first one. That has an elegant, "classic" look.
    David DeCristoforo

Those are some really nice mills with great looking wood and finish. I'm sure they will be well recieved.

Really nice looking mills. Kinda partial to the one on the left.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Where did you source the mill kits from? Nice work BTW!

Nice work on the mills! Practice looks like it is paying off!

Glad you got some spinny time Bill...mills show you haven't lost your touch!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Bill, all three are excellent, and a bit different in design than most I see. Love the walnut - great figure. Just to be different, I like the last one best.

Very nice trio of mills. I've only made one, and didn't like it. Maybe I need to get inspired to try another. Conceptually...it's a cool project to have these, but getting a pleasing form that works functionally isn't as easy as it looks at times. These came out quite nice...well done! Love that figure in the walnut!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Very nice work - I can see why they would be in great demand! Sure love the look of that Walnut!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for all the kind words, when I put a piece of wood on the lathe I have no idea how it's going to look when I'm done. So, no two are ever the same. That can be problematic when I'm doing Salt and pepper sets. I try to match as best I can but then sometimes its better to just make them completely different.

Tom, I get my kits from Packard, they have the best price I've found and have volume discounts also.

Again, thanks for your comments
    Bill

I forgot to mention that the blackwalnut is still some of my hurricane Katrina wood but I'm beginning to run out it, but that does'nt mean I want another storm of that size. I'm getting too old for that stress.

Bill

Speaking of turned salt and pepper mills, I started to order the mechanisms for both and them I asked advice from my chip maker neighbor. He has had trouble with any brand that contains any type of insert be they metal or ceramic. Does anybody have an recommendations about brands and sources based on actual experience? Lots of choices for salt and peppermills in the Packard catalog and Rockler catalog, but I would like to hear from those who have made enough units to avoid making nonfunctional mills that sit on the counter and pack up with moisture. Thanks.