Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Scroll saw Work

Flat Scroll saw Work

Hi All,
    Keith if this is not in the right place feel free to move it. Got a horse show coming up and have been working on it. This is one of about 35 pix I have to cut, stacked 5 at a time 7 different pix.
    Just Charlie
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-01-2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: removed signature line - violates TOS (web site link)

Scroll Saw Work

Charlie,
    EVERYONE, as far as I know, is welcome to jump into the Creek. Like yourself, I have recently gotten into the "portrait" area of scrolling although my real love is turning. I really like your horse jumping "portrait".

Are you using solid wood or plywood? I have been using nothing but 1/4" Oak plywood and have learned a lesson the hard way. Veneer core vs. foam core is the ONLY way to go. The foam core doesn't take the stain that I use and only the "runs" show!

I'm sure that you also have learned that you can't just pick up your frames for $3 at Wal-Mart. The 1/4" "Portrait" requires frames which have more "depth" than a typical picture. I've been using 1 1/8" Red Oak for these frames but I think that I could sneak away with 1".

So far, among others, I have done Dale Earnhardt, Babe Ruth, Elvis, a deer "buck", a pair of giraffs, a tiger, a really neat and complex cougar and a "portrait" of my grandson when he was three months old. I'm presently working on a "portrait" of John Paul II.

I typically use black velvet as the background. However, some folks prefer a "Camo" background for the "Buck" and a "Denim" background for "The Babe". John Paul II will get a "Cardinal Red" background.

Dale T.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Those are pretty nice Dale...I like the frames too.

On my recent trip to Charlie's house, I got the opportunity to see all his work...Wow!
    You oughta show more pics Charlie!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thumbs up

Hi Dale & John,
    Thank you for the good coments. Dale do yuo make your own frames? do you use molding or is that flat stock you work up? Which ever they look real sharp.
    Just Charlie & Betsy
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-01-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Both of you guys do wonderful work! I have always admired the scroll saw work!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Wow, I really like the one of the buck. Nice job.

Frames

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stein
    Hi Dale & John,
    Thank you for the good coments. Dale do yuo make your own frames? do you use molding or is that flat stock you work up? Which ever they look real sharp.
    Just Charlie & Betsy
    Charlie,
    Thank you - and Betsy! Being the lazy old guy that I am, I started out with those $3 frames from Wally-World. Unfortunately, the recesses in the frames were too shallow for the 1/4" portraits and "real" single-thickness glass. My first "portraits" were OK from the front but really bourgeois from the back - bad, BAD workmanship!

As a sign of repentance, all of my frames are now made from flat stock and routed in any way that happens to suit my fancy. They are REALLY easy to make and give the "portraits" a "heft" which I didn't have before. I had some 1 1/8" stock laying around and have been using that. I think that I can get away with 1" stuff and I'll try that when my new Framemaster arrives. I'm REALLY tired of those "push points" folding over without securing the back of the picture. I also did not appreciate the screwdriver jumping out of the "point" and doing more damage to my hand than the "point" did to the frame! Lesson: The RIGHT tool for the RIGHT job! No problem - I heal fast!

Charlie, it looks like you have a very large project! You better get to it instead of reading my stupid posts!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Condolences!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Both of you guys do wonderful work! I have always admired the scroll saw work!
    Hey Rena,
    Thank you very much! By the way, I couldn't even find you guys on my road map. I had to seach the internet for ancient ruins in the State of Wisconsin! Once I found you, I can understand the problem. Arena is made invisible by the prevailing westerly winds that blow the smoke from Spring's scrap pile. Now I can understand how a city of 17 million can be obscured to those who make the maps. I'm an understanding guy. That's why I have so many friends??

Dale T.

Charlie and Dale,

Excellent work ... I'm a Scroller myself, but I've never tried portraits.

Thanks for sharing .... Tom

Portraits!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hurlebaus
    Charlie and Dale,

Excellent work ... I'm a Scroller myself, but I've never tried portraits.

Thanks for sharing .... Tom
    Tom,
    I always like to try new things. Sooner or later I will get one of them right - as if I care! Anyway, if you are interested in portraits, check out the following website:
    www.angelfire.com/md2/creativewood/browning.htm

It's a lot of fun! Besides, those small pieces really make nice kindling for a campfire. Unfortunately, in my case, the BIG pieces also make good kindling!

Dale T.

Dale,

Peshtigo ...mmmm ... I believe I've been through there a couple of times ....

Thanks for the link ... I've been doing mainly book or mail order patterns of butterflies, angles, etc. and had some fun with compound cutting of Christmas ornaments. I think I've seen Browning's book on creating scroll saw portraits from photographs and I was going to give that a try .... so many projects ... so little time .... Tom

12. Just getting started also

I recently got into scrolling. I read several books, checked out several machines and decided on Delta SS350 was the best I could afford. Are there any particular resources I should seek out to get any furhter information. I am fortunate that I have a WoodCraft store outside my office window. I see there are soooooooooo many different types of blades available for scrolling, Which would be the best to start out with?

I have experience in BS boxes and Lathe work and just thought I wanted to try something new.
    Norm

Norm,

I was out at Charlie's house a few weeks back and watched him do a little scroll work. I know he swears by a flat blade and I must admit, he has it mastered. I personally prefer a spiral. Anyway, his source has turned into my source. Great prices and service. www.mikesworkshop.com for Flying Dutchman blades. I like the #5 spiral reverse. It's a little heftier so it holds truer than the smaller diameters. But, like I said, Charlie uses the flat blades and he get no "walking" at all.
    It was kinda cool...He stacks 5 sheets, marks one, and cuts 5 projects at a time.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    My first "portraits" were OK from the front but really bourgeois from the back - bad, BAD workmanship!
    Dale T.

How do you know what the back of my portraits look like.

I find that if I use the reverse scroll blades and I change the blades more often ( less thatn 30 mintues of cutting) the backs dont look so Thompson like.

These were my last two portraits that I used on the jewerly box I enterd in woddcentrals contest. (My daughter and my son.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    I find that if I use the reverse scroll blades and I change the blades more often ( less thatn 30 mintues of cutting) the backs dont look so Thompson like.
    Rob,
    OK, bud! How do I REALLY know what the backs of your portraits look like? I tried "reversing" the saw blades but I don't see too well when I am working with my feet nailed to the ceiling!

Also, how do you keep track of your "minutes" on a given blade? Do you use a stopwatch or a sundial? I'm not a "scroller" but I've always heard that the number of "insertions" for a given blade is pretty important in terms of its life.

By the way, BEAUTIFUL JOB ON THE JEWELRY BOXES FOR THE SON AND DAUGHTER!! They will be treasures for many years - even if the covered backs are "Thompson like"!

Nice work!

Dale T.