Thread: Help! My head is spinning!

Talking Help! My head is spinning!

Alright guys I hope I don't open a big can of worms but here it goes....About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new Jet 1642EVS and couldn't wait to start turning. In the process, I purchased a new set of HSS turning tools then went on the internet and Sawmill Creek to look for ideas on keeping a sharp edge and grinding these tools properly. I found several people that said in old posts that a slow speed 6" grinder (one at about 1725 rpm's) was the best because you would not overheat the tool and they would last longer vs. taking them to a 8" grinder at 3450 rpm's. Then today the UPS man brought me my Oneway Wolverine setup to go along with my new slow speed 6" grinder and in the setup instuctions from Oneway they suggest you use a 8" grinder @ 3450 RPM's for best gringing results! Help! My head is spinning! Do I do what Oneway suggest, the 8" grinder at 3450 rpm's or woodworkingonline.com and go with 6" grinder at 1725 rpm's!
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 04-03-2012 at 9:50 PM. Reason: spelled wrong

2. You should have an 8 inch grinder.......slow speed for best results. There are many variable speed grinders that are on the market that will go from 1725 slow speed all the way to the 3450 rpm............I use the 1725 rpm setting on mine.......you can use a 6 inch grinder, but you need to adjust the height of the platform under the grinder to raise it some..........good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Most use a slow speed (1750 rpm) 8" grinder, your 6" will work if you can get the jig set up at the correct height. You may need to change the wheels if it came with the gray wheels, aluminum oxide wheels work better with high speed steel. I would rather have a really good 6" grinder than a cheap 8" grinder (I actually have a cheap 8" grinder). Given a choice of equal quality, an 8" grinder at 1750 rpm would be my preference.

Agreed, 8" at 1725 rpm...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Alright guys.....The 6" Porter Cable VS grinder gets boxed up tomorrow and taken back to Lowes. They have a PC 8" version that is VS for about another 30 dollars. I guess I give the Big Blue store another 30 bucks!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Alright guys.....The 6" Porter Cable VS grinder gets boxed up tomorrow and taken back to Lowes. They have a PC 8" version that is VS for about another 30 dollars. I guess I give the Big Blue store another 30 bucks!
    Smart move Denny! That will give you a great setup with the wolverine system!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Some turners do prefer the high speed grinders, and I don't really know why, unless you have a lot of shaping to do. If nothing else, they are less intimidating. Some where down the line, you will most likely want to invest in these wheels. Head and shoulders above anything else out there, no matter how you look at it.

http://www.d-waytools.com/tools-diamond-grinding-wheels.html

I know it says diamond, but you want the CBN

robo hippy

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Smart move Denny! That will give you a great setup with the wolverine system!

I made it to Lowes today and returned the 6" grinder for the 8" VS grinder. It cost me about 40 more dollars than the 6" (not 30 like I thought) but I believe it will be well worh it. Thanks to the Creeker's who chimed in with their words of wisdom.

You won't be disappointed. The best thing I did was to use my 6" for lawn mower blades and got the new 8".
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For what it's worth, I only have a high speed 6" grinder, and it seems to work fine.

In my opinion, the grinder wheel makes the biggest difference.... What I took away from a discussion about HSS is that you really have to heat it WAY past what a grinder can do, to make any difference in the temper.

I still don't like to turn the tool blue though.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain