Thread: Turned and not turned toys

Turned and not turned toys

I've been making some toys for the local museum that my wife volunteers at and serves on their board of directors. They're making an exhibit of toys that pioneer kids would have played with. These are pretty simple things but my own grandkids seem to get a big kick out of playing with them. It's a switch from the Wii and Xbox stuff they're used to. The pic is some cup and ball toys and a jump rope with turned handles.
    wooden toys 1.jpg
    Then this video is of a really rough prototype of a toy I remember from when I was a kid. It's just made from a pine board and I did it just to see if it would work. It works pretty good so I'll try some with a little better wood and design....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvkQy7jke7M

Nice work on those, Curt, and I sure wish I could get the grandkids to give up their phones, and other electronic gadgets long enough to try some "old time" toys. Neat video, too - I recall seeing these many years ago.

Didn't you make some of the cup and ball toys once before? Seems I recall someone did and I thought it was you.

Great job on all the toys Curt! I am sure the museum will appreciate your efforts!

Cool video!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great gesture Curt. The first ever ball and cup I saw was in Juarez, Mx. about 60 years ago. They also had one where you tried to flip a doughnut shape ring onto a stick. (Both turned pieces).
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Those are great looking pieces Curt. I remember having a cup and ball. I have been working on my grandson to get him away from the X-Box, Nintendo, etc.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

good job! glad you are supporting your local museum with your turning skills
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great work and great cause.

I want to make some too.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!