Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osage Orange and resin vessel

Osage Orange and resin vessel

I started this piece a couple of month's ago as a casting demonstration for the Hill Country Wood Turners in Kerrville TX. It is a piece of Osage Orange that has a little bit of mistletoe burl. It was cast in a blue and lavender resin. I had been so busy with some other pieces I just got a chance to hollow and finish this piece about a week ago. Again this is a fairly small piece. It is 4 1/2" high by 3 5/8" diameter and is a little under an 1/8" thick. The finish is CA on the exterior withe the General Finishes WTF on the interior of the piece.

Overall I am happy with the form on this piece. I think it is pleasing to the eye. The color combination is good between the wood and the colors of the resin. The patterns between the wood and the resin have a nice amount of visual interest. The wood color is much more what I expect from Osage Orange This piece oxidized quickly. My other piece "Fuego" that I did about the same time just stayed very yellow which I liked with the red resin I used with it. That piece was much more heavily mistletoe burled than this piece and suspect that may have had something to do with it holding on to the yellow color.

As always cheers and jeers welcome.

Thanks for looking

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alan, another exceptional work. It appears that the blue will go well with most any color wood. Your work has inspired me to try another Ant Pool. I have one more piece of ant sculpted walnut but this time I think I will go for something more southwestern in shape if the wood allows it. It's a little thin but something small and SW might be made from it.

"The best things in life are not things."

Beautiful! But then again all of your pieces are, Alan. I like the colors on this one. The blues really go well with the Osage Orange....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

James,

Just to give you a little hint. Do not form you pieces to tight. If it is to tight it will not allow the resin to flow properly. I know it seems like a waste but I would rather deal with some wasted resin than voids in the piece.

Thanks for the compliments.

Alan

Alan, that is a fantastic looking piece. The grain pattern & that blue just seem to blend together.
    Billy

Alan, if you ever make a how to DVD put me first on the list to buy it. Simply outstanding.
    The Tsunami is Rising
    Roll Tide
    15 And Counting

Alan, I like this one, but then, I like all that you do! However, I think the more burly pieces of wood, with a few more interspersed voids tend to look better with what you do.

luv the color of this resin! eye-popping!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great piece Alan, next time you give a demo I'm going to take leave and come out to learn from the master.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Great form and the color combination once again has that old world map kinda feel to it! Very nice work Alan!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great piece of casting

mesmerizing piece
    can you elaborate abit on what product you used to dye the resin?
    I made my first resin h.f yesterday and am disappointed with the color. too blah. noticed yours has some swirls and irridesence. help?

Alan,
    As always, this is a visual treat. I actually like the pieces with so much resin that the wood becomes the accent to the resin. The swirling colors are memorizing.
    faust

Another beauty, Alan! I always enjoy staring at your creations. I hope to see you again in Waco this summer at SWAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    James,
    Just to give you a little hint. Do not form you pieces to tight. If it is to tight it will not allow the resin to flow properly. I know it seems like a waste but I would rather deal with some wasted resin than voids in the piece.
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Alan
    Alan thanks for the hint. For my first one, the Ant Pool, I left about an 1/8" and yes I did have a few spots with no resin even though I pressurized it to about 45lbs. Should it be more? I also had the problem of not enough resin in my first pour and had to do a second one. Of course in the second one there were even more areas of voided resin. How do you estimate the proper amount of resin?

"The best things in life are not things."