Thread: How should I attach this?

How should I attach this?

I am building a corner display case with framed construction with a solid wood framed glass door. I want to know what ideas you may have to mount the door to the cabinet? I'm not sure I should mount in on the face or inset? I know if I do the inset way it would need to be perfect with the opening! What type of hinges would you also recommend? The display will be screwed to the wall for security.

Thanks,
    Rob

CURIO.jpg

As long as you are framing the glass you have many options but I would suggest Blum hinges http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/30/index.php

Use the clip top style for an inset door or a Compact for the overlay door using the piece in question at the top of your drawing and a matching vert on the knob side of the cabinet. The top and bottom rail of the face frame should be set up for the door to overlay as well. Also I would reinforce the vertical joints of the two verts - a simple angled piece glued in to the crease should be more than sufficient. The reason for the glued in reinforcement is to strengthen that joint for years of secure opening and closing of that tall glass door.

If you decide on an inset door you will need to make those verts wider and use a specialty hinge from Blum that accommodates the angle.
    Finally, as this is a glass door if you use self closing hinges, be prepared to provide some soft bumper stops. Maybe just use 2 self close and 2 non self close hinges.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge