Thread: Willow

Willow

I have access to some willow that is going to be cut down, How is willow for turning?

There may well be a lot of varieties - making it hard to generalize. My experience is that it is okay. It's kind of like aspen - on the soft and light end of things. As softer woods tend to do, mine tended to have a sort of fuzzy finish, no matter how much sanding.

I haven't tried to turn it yet, but a neighbor had a tree trimmed and I got a couple of sections. The wood did appear soft and stringy when cutting the section with chain saw, and it is sealed at present but I hope to rough out some bowls soon.

We have a lot of willow around here. It is a soft wood and stringy so sharp tools are in order. A lot of it is light colored so makes using dye fun.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've turned some red willow (or black willow, couldn't tell for sure) out here in California. As Bernie and Sean said it is very soft and stringy. The species I was working on also smelled fairly bad when turning wet.

Re-turning the dry stuff requires very sharp tools and sandpaper. Tear out is a real problem. But willow can have some pretty heartwood.

I made a couple of salad bowls out of a Willow tree that was being cut down. Ditto for the soft and stringy comments. If you oil it, prepare for the finish to be blotchy unless you use a sanding sealer first. The wood did have a pretty color though.

I'm a utility turner and I want items that I make to be used. Willow is not durable enough for what I want. It's just too soft and dents if you look at it wrong. It might be OK as a popcorn bowl or some other decorative item that you look at. I don't think it will take long before the salad bowl looks really beat up. On the plus side, it was free wood, so if anything I made a disposable bowl!

I did rough turn a piece of Willow yesteday and it did require sharp tools for good cut. I have sealed it and hope to re-turn in a few months.