Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Woodie Build Off

Very nice, Klaus! - you get major props for making something that takes a lot more thought than most of us put in! And by the crispness of the facets on the test piece, it looks like it works very very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Derek, I guess there is not much tutorial to be had. .....
    Hi David

I disagree - that is a fine start you provide. I must spend some time practicing, and try and master this before I am prepared to comment about its place in hand planing (as on WC currently).

Here a pic of a little workpiece which was mitered on the donkey's ear at all 4 sides. The shavings are coming from this piece.

Hi Klaus

That is a wonderful piece of work. Beautiful .. form and function coming together in a striking package. It can only get better with the custom blade.

You have set the bar high for those that follow. I hope to start my plane this weekend.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As you've probably noticed, warren has extended my version of the use thoughts to include discretion being needed to achieve the best surface, especially on softer woods. In my rush of fascination, I was using stuff at least as hard as cherry (not hard, but doesn't crush under a steep angle or a close set chipbreaker, either) to try to stump the plane on hardness and figure. He is, of course, right. I went back and found that on quartered white pine, the chipbreaker will crush the fibers some and you can see if it you know what to look for. Setting the second iron back a little bit mitigates that, though, it's not needed to prevent tearout on pine.

But my goal with smoothers has always been to build a plane that relatively competent user can't use to create anything more threatening than a fuzzy surface (i.e., no tearout regardless of use direction), and work backwards towards surface shine from there because tearout in a show surface is just unacceptable.

As Bill releases more of the documentation he has, maybe more people will be convinced to try using one smoother for everything.

maybe more people will be convinced to try using one smoother for everything.

David, now that is going a little too far!

God forbid that we should only own and use one plane!!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    maybe more people will be convinced to try using one smoother for everything.

David, now that is going a little too far!

God forbid that we should only own and use one plane!!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I count 12 smoothers right now (and I have sold off at least that many)...I can't exactly claim to be a minimalist. But the idea (one plane) is nice in a little house on the prairie "I could fit all of the tools I need into a single tool box) kind of way. Shiny finish on easy woods and tearout free finish on difficult woods just by moving a piece of metal around, no extra irons, no back bevels.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    ...I can't exactly claim to be a minimalist. But the idea (one plane) is nice in a little house on the prairie "I could fit all of the tools I need into a single tool box) kind of way. Shiny finish on easy woods and tearout free finish on difficult woods just by moving a piece of metal around, no extra irons, no back bevels.
    I'm kind of liking the idea of this Plane Utopia .

Well I finally got around to making my woodie for the build off. I posted it in another thread so thought I should share it where I meant it to belong. Have been sitting on this Krenov style Hock blade for a long time and finally made time to put it to use. I typically am more of a fan of a one piece wooden plane but also am a big fan of Krenov as well.

This plane was intended as a practice piece as I have a chunk of Cocobolo designated for this purpose. Well the plane turned out a lot better than I anticipated. I may not be the most asthetically pleasing plane but I am thoroughly impressed by how well it works. The pear wood cross pin and wedge really grabs the untapered blade well. This was my biggest fear with this style of plane, not being able to get a good bite on the blade with the wedge. I am very happy with the results of just a few hours of messing around.

Krenov plane side.jpgKrenov plane sole1.jpg

A nice one, Tony! It reminds me on an old English roadster, very sporty. However there might be creekers that don't believe, that it performs that well without a pic...

Cheers
    Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Looks great, tony. Looks like a tidy even tight mouth, too.

So, here are the pics (finally!!!) of my last entry to the plane contest. This one has been done for a while, but I've been very neglectful of my woodworking lately... This is a 30" curly maple jointer, silver heart inlay.

jointer 1.jpgjointer 2.jpgjointer 3.jpg
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Hi Zach

Very nice!

Can you say something about the offset handle?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, thanks for your nice words! The offset handle is a common feature on 18th century planes. I believe it has to do with preventing carpal tunnel, but I'm not 100% sure. I did it to copy that style. I have an I Sym jointer plane that has that feature, although this was finished before I got that plane. My jointer works great!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Nice looking jointer. I like the rule too!

Blog Entries
    Very nice Zach! The 30" length and the inlay really make your plane standout as built by a craftsman who care about his tools. You certainly don't see anything like yours very often- thanks for sharing.

Mike

Wow Zach and Tony! Hats off to both of you. Great job...two very different and very nice planes!