Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench top

re: resurfacing the top

The top on my Sjobergs doesn't attach. It is simply sitting on the legs, kept from moving by some dowels that aren't glued. When it comes time to relevel I will bring it to my local mill and have them make a pass on their wide-belt. Something to consider for people making their own bench.

2. The IKEA idea sounds very good to me--I've been stalled over this issue. I just checked, and although the Baltimore store doesn't carry these tops, College Park (currently out of stock) expects them in for this weekend. $59 for the 25 x 96 inch beech tops.

No problem Julian. The Ikea top sounds like a cost effective solution.
    I probably have enough yellow pine for 3 or 4 benches, so if anyone in the area wants some just let me know.
    I used reclaimed douglas fir for my benches and they're working out great.
    Paul

I bought this from Ikea. Got it in beech and split it down the middle and stacked it to make 3" thickness. For $200, I thought it was worth a shot. The width after slicing and trimming is about 19". After adding aprons and possibly a tool tray, i think the width will be just about right. I'm planning on a shoulder vise so that width seemed about right. You could go with two of the tops if you wanted a really wide bench or go with a different model (but i think the choice in woods is gone, he one I posted is available in beech, birch, or oak).

Product dimensions
    Length: 73 1/4 "
    Depth: 39 3/8 "
    Thickness: 1 1/2 "

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Get a couple laminated tops from Ikea.

Glue two of these together, to get a substantial top.
    Spend your time on the base, where there's interesting joinery.

Drill some holes, hang a vise and off you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    No problem Julian. The Ikea top sounds like a cost effective solution.
    I probably have enough yellow pine for 3 or 4 benches, so if anyone in the area wants some just let me know.
    I used reclaimed douglas fir for my benches and they're working out great.
    Paul
    Paul, just sent you a PM

My strategy was buying green 8/4 ash from a local mill and letting it dry. The price was right but you have to be patient; I bought the stock 2 years ago and just finished my Roubo. It was worth the weight and the lumber was cheap. Rick

Julian, I was able to get a decent top and legs out of Dougls Fir 4x4s from Baltimore-area Orange BORGs. I had to go to 6 different stores over about a month to find ones that were dry, not severley cupped, bowed, checked, etc - and had tight growth rings and no pith. Every time I had to go find stuff for other projects at HD, I'd go to a different store nd spend 30-45 minutes culling a whole pallet for that one or two good pieces. I don't know how to link to my post, but the title started with "finally".

The HD stores had bins marked "fir 4x4s" and at first they were all Doug Fir, but I wasn't paying attention one day and bought 3 white fir (much softer) pieces that ended up in the low-wear area of my bench top. The 4x4x8s were about $10 each, so the wood is cheap, but you need to factor in time and gas for the search. Time I had, and back then gas was $.70 cheaper, so that's what I got. I had to true each face and remove the radiused corners before gluing them and used 1/2 in thick plywood splines between each timber to keep them aligned during glue-up and strentghen the top. Lots of work, but my brain doesn't charge for labor, just what green leaves my wallet.

I went to the place in Timonium because there were suggestions in books and here that ash was a cheap alternative to maple, but they only had 6/4 and wanted almost $6 a Bdft.

Blog Entries
    Try finding a local hardwood dealer, call them and see what they have good deals on. Many suppliers will sell shorts, #1 common, roughs....much cheaper. My supplier sells "roughs" at half price. Ash is usually not expensive and good tough wood. Hickory is another one you might find cheaper...