Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on gift for excellent contractor (PICS)

[QUOTE=RichMagnone]In 2003, my wife and I purchased a "cottage" (read dump... in fact, in the words of one of the neighbors up there "the place was a dump 20 years ago") in Northern Wisconsin.

Hey Rich
    "..have canoe, will travel"
    nice job

mike

Cash...here is another reason, any tools he buys for himself are tax deductable. The cash he can use on personal expense and buy his own tool and receive a deduction. Small point I suppose.
    BTW I like the scrape book idea too.
    Chad
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Cash it is.

I really like the idea of a scrap book - I have given him a key and told him that he can feel free to bring people over whenever he wants, as we keep the place at "show" quality when we leave (rule #1 of cabin: do not leave it dirty - more fun when you come back!) but I think a nice letter and pics (we have plenty) would be real good.

Thanks for the great idea.

By the way, I'll post a few close ups of some of the trim work - just a top notch job. When you use stained wood, you really need to be dead on because you can't fix it with caulk. The craftsmanship was flat out incredible.

Sorry to jump in so late. Don't give cash, I know its nice and I get alot of cash tips, but its not speacial, kind of lacks creativity. My best tips are a gift certificate to a nice resturant, I can share it with my wife. Second would be a gift certificate to Home Depot.
    The gift certificate idea show that you made some effort on your part, not just reached a little deeper in your pocket. I have also gotten tickets to sports, but that kind of locks him into a date and time which may not work.

Richard

What a nice idea that you have to show your appreciation. I got tickets to Lambeau field (48 yard line, home side, 8 rows up) from a guy I built a house for some years ago....it was the nicest thing any customer has ever done. Whatever you decide to do, your contractor will remember you for years to come.

how about letting he and his family use the place for a week or two ? assuming he ever can take a vacation.......
    chris

run an ad in the paper stating how well he did. We have had that happen to us a few times and it is always appreciated.

Brew

A Dump?

[QUOTE=RichMagnone]In 2003, my wife and I purchased a "cottage" (read dump... in fact, in the words of one of the neighbors up there "the place was a dump 20 years ago") in Northern Wisconsin.

Rich,
    To begin with, there are no "dumps" in Northern Wisconsin! Only the very wealthy live in a place as large as your first picture. It's not a big problem, though. My cardboard shanty dries out after a couple of sunny days. In addition, the mosquitoes can usually be brought down by a small, lasar-guided nuclear warhead.

Rich, I vote for the cash option. If your contractor has a favorite local supper club, a gift certificate would also be very welcome. WELCOME TO THE NORTHWOODS OF WISCONSIN!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Talking cabin

He did a beautiful job and it looks great. Cash would be nice or a gift certificate to a great resturant also is nice or hd or lows. Mike

Even though he is a contractor, and a tool would be the most likely gift, think about getting him a Nice Wrist Watch. For a Man, this is a great gift that can be given on any occasion and is usually well apprieciated.

Bruce

You guys are way off. What this guy needs is a week in Jamaica in February!

A bottle of single malt Scotch. I will take one as well please. Peter