Thread: More Kitchen Utensils

More Kitchen Utensils

These were all from semi dry waste wood saved in the process of creating various turning blanks. Various maple, birch and cherry, the footed bowl is Norway maple about 12", all finished with walnut oil. I'll pair up quite a few of these as salad servers, but they work as flippers, wok stirrers, probably would stir paint just fine, and on more than one occasion, I have scraped frost off my windshield with one. Great skew practice.

C&C on work always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are nice Hayes. You have been busy. Really nice utility items for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job are you living in your shop now! Making lots of stuff!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Yup - you jumped into production mode with this run! Very nice work!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

5. That is too cool..........production turning............are you making your living from turning now?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice work Hayes! You have certainly been productive!

That is a lot of utensils, I got hooked on making them also but haven't made as many as you have, lots of fun.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Really like to know how you do those Hayes...I'm a big fan of functional goodies!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim, I start by sawing out tapered pieces about 14" long- 1" wide to about 2-1/4" wide out of 1" rough sawn wood. If the 14" boards are wide, you can alternate ends. Then mount between centers with the blade end at the headstock. Then use a small roughing gouge, get rid of wood at what will become the narrow spot and shape the blade portion and handle toward that point. When shaping the handle portion, try to direct the pressure toward the headstock. Then switch to a skew for final shaping and finish cut. Part off at the handle end, then saw the blade portion by pulling through the band saw. Finally, sand the blade portion on a belt sander. To give them a fork like appearance, I carefully push the blade into a small diameter router bit in a laminate trimmer. Hope you make a batch, its a great way to use up small slats of semi dry wood.