Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction of an alien

Welcome Rolf! Good to have you on board.

Hi from Canada, Rolf .... welcome to the Creek! I know you will find this forum to be a great source of information, where everyone can show their work (and sometimes their mistakes), allowing us all to learn more about our craft.

You mentioned you live south of Frankfurt. I visited that area about 5 years ago on business (also Munich, Babden-Baden and a couple other spots having organic waste/composting facilities). Its a beautiful area. We are looing forward to hearing more from you.

Regards,
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Guten TAg. Welcome to SMC.
    As to your bench aspirations, I recommend you read The Workbench Book by Scott Landis. While the book you have is not a bad one, and the pictures of clever things abound, the Landis book is for me superior in terms of actually building a bench.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Welcome to SMC, Rolf. Nice to see another guy from Europe here.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Willkommen! I'm sure you will enjoy time spent here.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Rolf, glad to have you hear from such a great distance. Welcome aboard! And another Festool guy! Glad to have ya'.

Guten tag,

Glad you can come to pick up some tips as I have I. I spent the 4 out of the last 5 years around you neck of the woods or portion of this little earth in Baumholder and Wurzburg. I am partial to the northern Bavaria region.

Good day.

Lancia

Welcome Rolf, I’m sure you will enjoy it here just like we all do.

Can you post pictures of the Lancia? I did own a Beta years ago and I loved it.

Effie.

Germany, Gross-Bieberau, a small town in a rural area south of Frankfurt
    Hello!

Due to the fact that I was on (unplanned) travel for most of the last 2 weeks my answer to all your nice postings is late. I apologize that.

Yes, we live south of Frankfurt, but not as far as some of you might expect. Itīs not in Bavaria, it is South Hessia, the so called Odenwald, a hilly area with lots of forests. We moved to that place 30 month ago and it increased quality of life much more than expected.

In the meantime I bought wood for a - compared to my level of skills - gigantic project, a workbench. Such a bench has to be made from European beech, if one lives here. Two reasons: It ist much cheaper than other hard wood and it ist more or less the traditional material. Got planks (is this the right term?) of cured beech 11 feet long, with different width between more tha 5 '' and 12'' and 2 '' thick. 330 kg ist the total weight, more than 700 lb. The cost: about $ 600. Wood is expensive in Germany.

Lets see how the project goes on. Iīm a little bit nervous, but not that anxious.

Effie Lever asked for a picture of my Lancia. Iīm pleased to show you a shot of the "Diva" as this special model is nicknamed in Germany.

It is a 1993 Lancia Thema with an 3,0 Liter aluminum V6 from Alfa Romeo ("il coure sportivo" as the Italians say). This version was fabricated only shightly more 7.700 times and maybe about 1.000 might have survived today. Itīs not lack of quality, itīs a question of the enormous shop costs if youīre unable to service that car by your own. Fortunately I can.

The car run for more than 391.000 kmīs (that is 243.000 miles) until now and itīs still going strong! Never let me walk!

Greetings

Rolf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome! Good to see people from other countries on here. We have a guy from japan here too. I would love to visit there someday and see the castles...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    Welcome! Good to see people from other countries on here. We have a guy from japan here too. I would love to visit there someday and see the castles...
    Hello Robert,

yes there are castles and manor houses too! We have one only two and a half miles as the crow flies but unfortunately we cannot see it from our home. The next one is five miles to the east. This one we can see. And there are additional 5 in a perimeter of maybe 12-15 miles.

Itīs always a good idea to experience the differences between the two continents. But beware, we don`t have red rock and canyons, one of the reasons to visit the United States!

Rolf
    Last edited by Rolf Safferthal; 07-13-2005 at 1:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf Safferthal
    Hello Robert,

yes there are castles and manor houses too! We have one only two and a half miles as the crow flies but unfortunately we cannot see it from our home. The next one is five miles to the east. This one we can see. And there are additional 5 in a perimeter of maybe 12-15 miles.

Itīs always a good idea to experience the differences between the two continents. But beware, we don`t have red rock and canyons, one of the reasons to visit the United States!

Rolf
    Have you visited the grand canyon?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Welcome

Rolf,
    Welcome to the Creek... I know you will enjoy visiting with us.

I did 18 monthes in your beautiful country, in Rothwesten, just north of Kassels. That was a long time ago... Nov. 1968 - May 1970
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    Have you visited the grand canyon?
    Hello Robert,

did so several times. My wife and me, we love the southwestern desert areas on the Colorado Plateau. We visited the area several times since 1985.

Rolf

Some of our favorites below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

welcome! glad your here....
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"