Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison between Grizzy and Jet Combination Jointer and Planner.

Comparison between Grizzy and Jet Combination Jointer and Planner.

Hello
    Im in the market of buying a Combination Jointer/Planner.

Im looking at the Jet 12" and also the Grizzy 12"
    Does anyone have any experience with either one of this Items?

Which do you think makes the best Tool?

Thanks

Warren

I have a Jet JJP-12 for a 4-5 years. I like it. In my hobby shop it is more then enough tool and very good quality. I have a few Grizzly machines, never have a problem with any. May be it will be little bit underpowered for production shop.

Ed.

The biggest difference for me is the head. The Jet has a shear cut head with a significantly higher population of cutters one must decide if that and the 4 year longer warranty is worth the price difference. There are other differences as well the head is just the big one for me, also check the replacement cost of cutter bits many of the Grizzly heads require cutters that are 70% more than the Byrd cutters.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The biggest issue with J-Ps is the ability to lift and return the jointer tables to dead flat and parallel. On some machines the tables will vary depending on how hard you tighten the kip levers so test them out. Many have good success but that is a machine where quality counts. I would look at a used as well. J-Ps are often hobby machines and low use so you can find a high end Felder or MM for a good price. Dave

Dave's point about used is excellent. But if you are set on new take a HARD look at the Hammer A3-31 it is by far the best of the light-weights (along with the Minimax) the Hammer with easy set knives is $3k and with a Byrd head $3.8K. Worth the extra money over the Grizzly and Jet IMHO.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've had the Jet JJP-12 with straight knives pretty much since they were introduced to the U.S. Market. It does what I bought it to do. I'd agree with Eduard's assesment. The motor is pretty small for 3 h.p. and there have been reports of heat related problems when run under load for extended periods. I usually work one or two pieces then turn it off so I've had no heat related issues. I did have to replace a start capacitor. I called Jet's tech support, told 'em what it was doing (head was moving maybe 1/16", motor was humming) Tech said "yup, sounds like a start cap", sent me a new one and life is fine again. I might consider refitting with a spiral head at some point but for non-figured woods the straight knives seem to work fine.

Switch over is cited by some as an issue but for me it's not an issues. I haven't timed it but probably takes less than 1 1/2 minutes. I'd recommend some sort of digital readout on the planer bed. If I don't make an extra piece of whatever and have to plane a replacement for a screwed-up piece the DRO makes it quick & easy. I've not even seen let alone use a Hammer A3-31 so can't compare it to the Jet & Grizzly. I can't recall reading a negative review on the Hammer though. Perhaps it's like comparing a Grizzly or Shop Fox cabinet saw to a Unisaw or Powermatic 2000.

Thank you Curt.. Just walking around in high weeds trying to make the right Decision .

One thing I noticed on the Grizzy it does have a 5 HP motor instead of the 3 Hp.

Thanks again
    Warren

Thanks Van
    I will Check The Hammer and the Minimax out. Just dont want to Buy a $2500.00 Paper weight. Also I will look at the used Market as well.

Thanks
    Warren

Hi David
    Do you believe that the Grizzy has a better solution for that? You think this might be a issue with these type of machines? I can go with seperate units just be more money and more space. Was look to save on both.. But if that will be a issue ever time I change ,,, might not be worth the risk.

Thank You

Warren

Hi Ed
    Have you ever had a problem with ability to lift and return the jointer tables to dead flat and parallel? What I understand is that the Grizzy has a 5 HP motor compaired to the 3HP Jet.

Thank you

Warren

I've had my JJP-12 with the helical head about 2 years. Still satisfied. I added an iGaging readout which works great. I bet changeover takes under a minute for me. I believe Grizzly requires removal of the fence, Jet doesn't. The Grizzly used to have a huge post on the back of the fence which was a drawback to me. Right after I got mine they introduced the Polar Bear model with a redesigned fence. I might have gone that way if it had been available then. The head would have been the biggest sticking point for me at that point.

Chip collection in Jointing mode isn't the best--I get a pile on the planer bed I need to suck up during changeover. But my friends Minimax does the exact same thing.

It took a bit of getting used to the Euro guard but I like it now. It has a big advantage of not swinging out so far when face jointing a wide piece.

I don't have any issues with the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Humphries View Post
    Hi David
    Do you believe that the Grizzy has a better solution for that? You think this might be a issue with these type of machines? I can go with seperate units just be more money and more space. Was look to save on both.. But if that will be a issue ever time I change ,,, might not be worth the risk.

Thank You

Warren
    Warren, if you have room separates are the way to go. there are great deals on used jointers and planers and although new separates cost more you eliminate potential problems inherent to combo machines. J-P are great choices when space challenged but if not look at other options. Separates are lots easier to resell if your needs change. Dave

thanks dave

Warren

Hi Matt

Thank you very much for you input. The Grizzy what i understand now has a new design which has a differant fence which is the 6034Z which is taking the place of the Polar Bear Series. Im like you not sure about the Euro Guard looks a little strange. I wish I had a place to look at these 2 items together to see how they change over and how easy each machine really is... If you had the room and the extra money would you go seperate peices?

Thanks

Warren

I had separates (couple different iterations in fact.) I have a 30x48 shop and still like the combined unit for space savings. The 12" jointer is the biggest reason. An 8" jointer or 15" planer takes as much floor space as the 12" combo. Most 12" jointers are much larger.