Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: powermatic 4224B

Big dog... and "fully loaded". It's almost a bit to much. I'm not impressed with the "bells and whistles" on this machine. The lighting system, the four 115v receptacles, the little bent steel "tool holder" bolted onto the end, the "clever" extra storage compartment built into the tailstock... all of these are things that I wish they wouldn't do. I'd rather see a lower price. The onboard vacuum setup might be worth a few extra bucks but, taken all together, this is overload. It looks like a fine machine but, as has already been pointed out, there are some pretty highly regarded machines in this price range. Like some others, I'd be hard pressed to choose this over the Robust AB.
    David DeCristoforo

DD - I always wished that they would leave the burl dash and leather seats out of the Rolls-Royce, also!

Looks like a wonderful lathe to me. With Robust, Stubby, Hegner, Serious, and PM, I have lots to dream about. Meanwhile, I'll keep overloading my current "dancing" lathe.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Ya' know............if I am going to lay out that amount of $$$$$$...........then if it is a choice, I am going with the lathe that has the stainless steel ways............the Robust! Not that the 4224b is not a really nice machine.........if one already has a vacuum system, etc, and does not need the whole enchilada, then the Robust is still my choice!
    Roger, just buy one of each, try them out and which ever one you don't like, just send it down to my shop to live.

....Brilliant Marketing by Powermatic! They just got me to think, maybe $4k isn't that bad for a 3520b.

Little depressing looking at my HF special w/ 12" swing...

If you shop around that $7500 price is high. Sub $7k can be had..

I got to see the 4224B today. There are many little touches sprinkled on this one.

- They added a locking plate to the spindle lock. This can be retro-fitted to the 3520B.
    - The main spindle has LASER etched degree marks.
    - The integrated vacuum system is venturi based. Just connect your shop air compressor.
    - The spindle indexing was moved from the spindle nose to the hand-wheel. So, no more hand wheel.
    - The belt tension handle is chrome plated.
    - The banjo mouth is split clamped. So, setting the tool rest height will not mar the tool rest post.
    - The light bar will be available for the 3520B.
    - There is a 20" swing-away/geared height adjustable tail-stock extension.
    - There is a riser available now to allow the use of the tail-stock while turning out-board.

There may be more changes. But, that is all I remember...

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sitze View Post
    Did I read the specs correctly that it's a 3 phase 3HP motor?
    I would think that it has the inverter for pne phase lke the 3520B. 3 phase is really industrial only in most places.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Something to think about---- The folks over at Powermatic made a big investment in doing this. They incorporated ideals from some of the best woodturns in the business and upgraded thier biggest wood lathe. This project has been years in the making----- personally I take my hat off to them for advancing woodturning.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Roger, just buy one of each, try them out and which ever one you don't like, just send it down to my shop to live.

Great idea Kev!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

While I like powermatic lathes, and it looks like an awesome lathe, for that price I could get a loaded Robust. My main reason for choosing a robust was the headstock, your more able to get behind the bowl with it then the powermatic. I think I'll keep saving my pennies for the Robust.
    Dislocated New Mexican.
    Critiques always welcome.

While I have not really studied the lathes available at that price point, it does seem like Powermatic is going up against some tough competition. The vacuum capacity is a big feature, and may have been pretty expensive to incorporate. A lot of the other bells and whistles, though, seem like things that are cheap to add for Powermatic and just allow them to list lots of features in their ads. The 3520B has the tailstock storage (which I never use) and the tool caddy (though the 4224B's looks more substantial). Outlets and lighting probably add very little to Powermatic's cost. 948 pounds of cast iron and providing Powermatic's usual free shipping of that weight will certainly cost them a bit! I wonder what it would have added to the cost if they included stainless steel ways? Now that's a feature I'd pay for.
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 06-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    Something to think about---- The folks over at Powermatic made a big investment in doing this. They incorporated ideals from some of the best woodturns in the business and upgraded thier biggest wood lathe. This project has been years in the making----- personally I take my hat off to them for advancing woodturning.
    I know they had this lathe in the works well before the recession hit and then like lots of companies it went on the back burner until the economy started showing signs of life. I like what they did and look forward to getting mine. (already sold my 3520B and 1014 to make room in the shop and budget) No matter what they make or what they set the prce at it will be too high for some, not so much for others. That's why they have more than one lathe, to service more people within the market.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Ya' know............if I am going to lay out that amount of $$$$$$...........then if it is a choice, I am going with the lathe that has the stainless steel ways............the Robust! Not that the 4224b is not a really nice machine.........if one already has a vacuum system, etc, and does not need the whole enchilada, then the Robust is still my choice!
    This is my point exactly! Most of the "extras" are things that some of us have. I don't see too many people new to turning dropping $7500 on a first lathe. I'm probably being a bit hypercritical, but it had better be one heck of a sale. They are trying to compete in a class of machines that have "customizable" options at the same price point. Without the "free" extras, it's just a 4224 with sliding headstock... does that justify a nearly $1500 price increase?
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I wonder if the price of this lathe will raise the value of my 3520b for a while. At least till the 3520C comes out.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sitze View Post
    While I like powermatic lathes, and it looks like an awesome lathe, for that price I could get a loaded Robust. My main reason for choosing a robust was the headstock, your more able to get behind the bowl with it then the powermatic. I think I'll keep saving my pennies for the Robust.
    Loaded Robust is well over this price.. AB with a 3hp upgrade is $7400 according to their online sales sheet...

Like I said before that $7500 price is HIGH... you can do sub $7k if you do a little shopping.

I'm not in the market for either of them but it's nice to see some upgrades to the 4224.