Thread: New turnings and new gadgets (pictures)

New turnings and new gadgets (pictures)

I am back from my hiatus at college and finally have had a chance to turn some wood. I'm currently building a photo tent, so I don't have many good pictures of my new work to post, but I did make one very handy addition to my tools. I generally finish with tung oil, and sometimes buff for a glossier finish. Until now, the outsides of my bowls were shiny, and the insides matte for lack of a buffing ball. I knuckled down and bought a set of Beall ones, but couldn't bring myself to buy the adapter to actually use them in the lathe. As luck would have it, I turned some aluminum down and threaded a 3/8-16 hole in one end to serve as the adapter. Let me know what you think.
    Buffing Adapter.jpgBuffing Adapter Installed.jpg
    I gave it a test earlier today, and it runs true at high speed:
    Buffing Adapter in Use.jpg

I'll post pictures of the new bowls when I get the time.

Nice job! Always fun to make your own tool and stuff

Nice job Moses. I made one out of wood (being cheap), it never occurred to me that I could have turned aluminum just as easily!

Ha Baxter, Never occured to me that you could make one out of wood.. Thanks to both of you...

Hey Moses. How do you grip it in your chuck? I would have guessed that the jaws would leave dents and thus make it a little more difficult to centre and run properly the more you use it?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Glad you are getting in some turning time! Looks like your adapter works just fine! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Hey Moses. How do you grip it in your chuck? I would have guessed that the jaws would leave dents and thus make it a little more difficult to centre and run properly the more you use it?
    Peter, I turned a 7/8" tenon for the inner chuck jaws to grip on. The surfaces of the chuck are pretty broad, so they don't exert enough pressure to mark up the aluminum. I also haven't found the need to crank the chuck closed incredibly hard to hold the adapter firmly. I'll have to see how it stands up to use though.