Thread: finish advise

finish advise

My friend just picked up a 1918 icebox with an oak exterior. It is in original condition and he intends to leave it that way, but he would like to preserve what is there. Could you give me some advise on a good finish to put over the existing that won't change the color too much but make it look nice and keep the wood in good shape. I'm not sure if I need an oil, a wax or what would work well. Thanks.

Most all old ice boxes were done with either shellac or varnish or both. Finish over the old after thurough cleaning and dewaxing and a light sanding with the same.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Not looking to sand down or disturb what is currently there, just looking to preserve and condition the wood and the patina from the last 90 years. Basically what do people use on antique furniture to preserve?

I own an antique restoration shop and we use briwax. It will clean the surface as you put in on and then when it hazes over buff to the shine you want. If you cant find briwax locally you can use paste wax and it will work fine to. Just make sure you clean the surface with a mild household degreaser to remove all the dirt and grime.

We look to do this kind of stuff quite often as my wife is into primitve decor. I really like the Howard "Feed-N-Wax". My local HD carries it.

http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dorner View Post
    Not looking to sand down or disturb what is currently there, just looking to preserve and condition the wood and the patina from the last 90 years. Basically what do people use on antique furniture to preserve?
    So in other words am I to understand that the original finish is in great shape as to having no cracking or other anomalies that would affect its ability to perform it's job of keeping the humidity or other ruinous factors from happening? If so, then by all means clean and use wax if you desire. On the other hand - if it is cracked or aligatored or separated and not protecting as it should and needs to be, then either amalgamation of the coating is due or re-coating with like materials, i will leave it up to you and your visual discernment as to what coarse is best to follow.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...