Thread: Golden back-light

Golden back-light

G'day everyone,

One of my customer wants a quite complicated picture to convert into the light box. The special requirement is that the engraving should have golden back-light. I thought of using reverse engravables but I'm not quite sure about paint to be translucent enough to produce bright golden light from LEDs plus frosted top coat may create a fussy look when painted.. I've read somewhere on the forum that Rowmark FlexiBrass is translucent when engraved. Can somebody prove it(the picture of it will be great)? Any advice will be appreciated.

You really need to have the graphic digitally printed on a backlit vinyl material for the best effect .However , If you want to do it on a laser , use the reversible laminate and use a yellow or whatever colour translucent vinyl or acetate at the back to make the white led light "golden" You could also use an opal acrylic with an acetate behind for the "golden" back ground and then cut the black bits out of something like ABS and stick em on the opal "golden" sheet (probably a huge mission)
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Yes, Rodney is right. Just think of it as s smaller version of a storefront backlit sign, where one common method is a light color translucent vinyl on the back, and darker opaque letters on the front of clear acrylic or lexan.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Take a look at the recent thread on lithophanes as that may provide a solution.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Cutting the thing out and trying to re-stick to another sheet will cost a half of my life.
    I'll try translucent vinyl.

Thanks everyone.
    500W Fiber Laser, Tekcel VLS CNC Router, Roland GX-640