Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand tool cabinet in progress

Hand tool cabinet in progress

Only lumber surfacing was done by machines, everything else with hand tools. My first hand cut dadoes, first hand cut frame and panel. Case dovetailed. Still working on drawers and mountings for tools. No tool locking because traveling with tools is not planned. Just enough support for them not to fall from vibration and door swings, any tool could be easily removed with one hand.

IMG_1437_small.JPG IMG_1438_small.jpg

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice! The flame walnut is striking! What are you going to do for drawer pulls?
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Love the walnut.

What kind of hinges did you use?

Just plain beautiful work. My compliments.

Blog Entries
    A great project of which you'll make use of every day in the shop, then pass it on - very nice work.

Nicely done Igor!!!

Igor:

Nice work! I do see a potential problem though (ask me how I know) with the drawer knobs. They must be recessed into the face of the drawers otherwise they will hit when the door is closed.

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Very nice Igor! I need to get around to building one soon. I like how you secured the planes to the cabinet interior. This is good inspiration!

Yes there are no space for pulls so I would have to either find inset ones or just make finger holes

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor Petrenko View Post
    Yes there are no space for pulls so I would have to either find inset ones or just make finger holes
    A recessed ring pull would look nice.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Very nice work and some truly beautiful walnut. Please keep us posted as you complete it.
    Rodney

As someone else asked, What are the hinges that you've used on this cabinet?

Very nice work on this cabinet. The walnut is very striking. Is it veneered or is it a floating solid panel? I also like the way you have mounted your router plane, upside down. Very original. I do really need to make one for myself.

Very nice. Would you post more pics of how the tools are held in place? I'm building something similar and am looking for ideas. Thanks
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

also, how did you attach the door frame&panel to the door "case"?
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    As someone else asked, What are the hinges that you've used on this cabinet?

Very nice work on this cabinet. The walnut is very striking. Is it veneered or is it a floating solid panel? I also like the way you have mounted your router plane, upside down. Very original. I do really need to make one for myself.
    Those are just plain 4"x4" stainless door hinges from menards. Panel is solid. Yes this way the router plane is easy to get by grabing any handle. Also there is space behind it for extra knives and sharpening holder.