Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switched to Keurig Coffee Makers at Work

Nespresso maker is a big rip off inside is plastic that breaks easily and you need to use their cleaner on other. Had 2 go down at a trade show wasn't a good thing.

We have one, and love it.. The only low note, is my wife works for a large food chain in Canada, and they have a in house brand called "Our Compliments". They had a K-Cup product that we bought, and discovered a total rip off. It was a standard shape and style, but no inside filter, it was simply a spoonful of instant coffee sealed in a K-cup. It even rattled when you shook it.. That's what prompted me to peel off the top, and discover the ruse..The bad part was it was no cheaper than any other of the 'real' K-cups.. Just a rip off. Unfortunately my wife just tossed them in the garbage before I could get the 1-800 complain number off the box.. If their still on the shelf, I'll get that number and let them know 'exactly' how I feel about their product while demanding a full refund.. What I like about the real kcups is you can try different types of coffee without having to buy a pound of something you may end up not liking.. I like the Emeril's Big Easy Bold..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 08-02-2012 at 9:57 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Nespresso maker is a big rip off inside is plastic that breaks easily and you need to use their cleaner on other. Had 2 go down at a trade show wasn't a good thing.
    I have been running 2 (one in vacation house) for 2 years and they seem to be pretty good. The main cost are the pods at .60 per -- machine is $100 -- so I don't expect it to last forever. Usually I hate throwaway machines but I've used many top end expresso machines and I can't make as good espresso unless I get up to at least a $1500 machine (including grinder).

I bought my own for my office at work. Love it and will never go back. Much better tasting coffee that that swill the company buys. That stuff tastes like cigar buts after 10 minutes of sitting in the pot. Then some clown would always go an make a pot for everyone to enjoy and add three packs of grounds to the basket. Life is too short for that!

We got one for Christmas two years ago. Great if all you want is one cup. But there's two of us, which meant one was always in line, waiting. Also, it has to be on to be ready to instantly brew, and it's far more expensive than using a conventional type coffee maker. Our old perculator went out, recently, we bought a Mr. Coffee for $34.00: I'm use to Bunn coffee, but this one nails it! I was really surprised. It has a strong option button, which makes it so we use even less coffee than normal. Our recipe is two scoops to eight cups of water, and a pinch of sea salt. Good coffee

We have used a Keurig for 3-4 years at home. It would certainly be more expensive to make a full pot of coffee one K-cup at a time. But for 2 old folks at home, and being able to choose different coffee brews, it works out to be economical to make it one K-cup at a time. We do drink tea, and we use the Keurig to produce the hot water for the cup and tea bag under the unit. We also use it to make hot chocolate or a cup of mocha from a K-cup and Swiss Miss or something. You can also get a gold filter insert for the unit that accepts your own ground coffee, if one feels like washing the small filter after every cup....ugh. I believe that I read recently that the Keurig license for the K-cup expires in 2013, so there should be competitively priced generic K-cups lining the shelves.

I use an Aero Press at work (which I got a stainless steel filter disk for later on), and a regular old French Press at home, so I have fresh coffee and zero waste. There's nothing to break on the Aero Press (it's all heavy-duty plastic), and as long as I don't drop the glass carafe on my French Press, it should last forever too.

My wife has one and really likes it. She drinks about one cup per day. She likes that she can pick a different flavor every time. I don't even like the smell of coffee and the Keurig releases much less coffee smell into the air as it brews. It is certainly much less mess than any other brewer.

Of coarse, the downside is the cost of around 60 cents per cup. It is no big deal for 1 cup per day. It would be a waste to brew 3-4 batches to fill a thermos in the morning. We have had to have ours replaced once under warrantee. Hopefully, they have fixed the quality issue by now.

Steve

We have the Keurig and love it. We use a brand called (I think) San Francisco coffee from Costco. It uses filter material where you would normally see the plastic cup. Last time cost was about 29 cents/pod. Because of the design they need to be sealed to retain freshness. They come sealed in groups of 6 or 8 cups. Once opened we keep them in one of those glass jars that has a hinged top and a rubber gasket. We are almost out. I hope Costco still carrys them.

I suppose I should admit that I actually have 2 K-cup machines. One in the house which is probably 3-4 years old and is the automatic variety with the water tank on the side. I do have the refillable K-Cup but as mentioned its slightly more of a hassle but I do use it a bunch around Christmas time when the Starbucks Christmas Blend comes out. I have a second machine I got for Christmas last year for in my shop. Its the style where you have to dump in the right amount of water each use. This one is actually a Mr. Coffee. Great for cold winter evenings/Saturdays working in the shop. I just keep a container of RO-filtered water in the shop.

We use the refillable cups. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...F11-BC8B-0019B

We have two, my wife and I. Saves a lot of money, and keeps the landfill a little less filled.
    Richard