Thread: What wood is this?

What wood is this?

Folks,
    A friend died recently and as his widow is downsizing she wants to sell these two carved heads he bought in Jamaica years ago. She says the wood is heavy. Any idea what the wood is? Can't say I'm a fan of the art but would like to help her out. Thanks.get-attachment-1.jpgget-attachment-2.jpg

I'm horrible at this Dave, but it has the swirl and eyes of a burl, inclusions like a burl. Gonna go with a rosewood burl
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks Jim. Could be. Certainly the dark areas look like inclusions to me as well. Cheers, Dave

It could be ANYTHING. However, knowing that it's heavy and it's from Jamaica, despite what I know everyone's going to say, if I had to guess I would guess Lignum Vitae.

Thanks John. I may end up putting all the ideas in a hat and just picking one! Cheers

An update: I saw these pieces last night. They're about 10" tall and very heavy. Much heavier that a similar size piece of ironwood I got in Australia years ago. The dark areas are not inclusions but areas where the carver has removed the blond sapwood to expose the dark heartwood. The pieces are about 4" in diameter and are either the trunk of a small tree or branches inasmuch as the heartwood is completely surrounded by the sapwood. The grain is not straight, however, and has straight areas mixed with swirls. Owner insists that her husband bought them in Jamaica years ago. Any thoughts? Cheers

Many woods in the Caribbean that were used for carving are no longer available due to real estate developers, just like what is happening in the Florida Keys. There are many incredibly hard woods that don't grow much larger than shrubs in less than 50 or 75 years. Somewhere there are "old salts" who could look at them and tell what type of wood it is. Could very well be collector's items due to the rarity.

When were they carved?

I'm going to double down on lignum vitae

I am with John - Lignum Vitae, or at least what the Jamaicans call it. Having made a couple trips to Jamaica some 25 years ago, and having brought back several similar carvings and turnings, without doubt that is the correct guess. Now.....whether it is truly Lignum Vitae, I do not know, but that is what it was represented as at the time.

Appreciate the responses and will pass the info along to my friend's widow. He bought them when in Jamaica for work before they were married so that was 25+ years ago; fits with the observations above and with the lignum vitae identification (as does the weight!) Thanks to all. Once again you've demonstrated that this group has an amazing amount of individual and collective knowledge and the graciousness to share. Cheers.

The flower of the Lignum Vitae tree is the national flower of Jamaica and I believe the tree is now protected. I have been there several times and have seen the street vendors selling carvings made out of Blue Mahoe and a type of Cedar which is different from our Cedars here. Lignum Vitae is heavy, one of the few woods I know that are heavier than water. It has a spicey smell to it when turned or sanded. With the pieces being from Jamaica and as heavy as described I would favor Lignum.

Thanks Marc. Appreciate the info.

This looks like a wood the locals call "blue stripe' it is a member of the ironwood family but I have not been able to find any information on it via its common name. It is a very common wood the locals use to carve ALOT. If I find the scientific name I will post it. It is probably not Mahoe as the sapwood and heart wood in mahoe are clearly delineated.
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 08-05-2012 at 7:25 PM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson