Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Sided Tapes

Double Sided Tapes

Hello Everyone,
    I am looking for the best affordable 2 sided tape for panel tags and signs. I have seen many on the web and Uline but was wondering where everybody else is getting their's from.

Thanks
    Joe
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

Hi Joe, What is "affordable" to you? I've used 3-m products for years because they were the only ones that I could find with the performance that I needed (3-5yr guarantee on our exterior signs) for our high-end clients. I have been using the 9476LE (300LSE series) for over 10yrs now and still going strong in the desert heat 120deg+, haven't had a failure yet. I use it mostly for laminating various decorative laminates to acrylic. Also we use the 4085 foam tape for installing plaques to the wall, haven't found anything that has a higher initial tack and bonding strength, use it mostly along with a dab of silicone for a permanent fixture. They are both expensive but the peace of mind is worth it to me. It's no fun when a client calls you back because your signs have all fallen off before the silicone dried, because you wanted to save some money by using the cheap tape! Only made that mistake once.
    Paul
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I mostly use 3M also because it comes in 6" and 12" really thin clear for laminating, but I discovered that the really cheap stuff with dark green carrier at my local Harbor Freight is actually very good and holds up for mounting signs to interior walls, or for holding outdoor signs until the silicone or other adhesive sets up.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I have used 36 yard Gold-Line Premium Tesa Tape for 18 years and have never had a plaque returned because the plate fell off the board. Infact the acrylic carriers bond gets stronger over time.. does not dry out ... JDS is my primary provider. Stay away from tissure or paper carriers. Buy the best you can afford .
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 08-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Plus 1 on the JDS premium tape. Never a complaint in 15 years.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    ...the really cheap stuff with dark green carrier at my local Harbor Freight...
    How wide is it?

And do you have a SKU# handy? Don't see anything like that on their web site...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I tried using other, cheaper laminating tapes but I found that it did not adhere well to certain "low surface energy" materials like gatorfoam, sintra/celtek and I often had to scuff/prep both surfaces for the tape to stick properly, but with the LSE, "low surface energy" tape I don't have to do any prep and it instantly creates a permanent bond. Also, for me I think the foam tape problem is related to the local weather and big changes in humidity and heat in a short period of time causing signs to expand or contract and pull away from the wall and fall off, with the 4085 I never have that problem, but each persons application and environmental variables will be different and you have to use what works for you. My being in an extreme environment makes my situation unique.
    Joe, my advise is to start with the more affordable suggestions and if that doesn't work then you at least have some alternatives. BTW, I order my 3M products through www dot rshughes dot com.

I have been using 3M 444 double sided tape, it has been rising in price over the last year and was just looking for alternative's. I am paying $106.00 for 2 rolls from Uline now. I am only using it for electrical panel tags and signs, I don't do trophy's or plaques.
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

and I thought $26 a roll for 2" was expensive..........$53 wow
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Joe

What width are you using?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I am using 2" width.
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

Joe

Single rolls of the Gold Line from JDS are 23.50 with a very good discount for buying 6 rolls. This stuff is incredible. I've used it for years and will not change.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike,

That is just the lead I was looking for when I posted it, thank you so much it is a HUGE savings.

Joe
    Epilog Fusion 32 60W

Joe

I gave you last years price. It is up $1 this year and 6 rolls are 20.50 each.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, I might have to give that a try since it comes so highly recommended, thanks for the info.
    Joe, I think we all feel your pain on all the various materials that have steadily risen in price over the last few years, and that's what makes this forum so great, if it can help some of us find a good deal and save a few $.