Thread: White Oak Burled Vase

White Oak Burled Vase

Hey All,
    Here is a Burled White Oak Vase that's 14" tall and 5" in diameter at its widest. I used Emerald Stone flakes and Epoxy to fill voids/cracks and also filled the worm holes. It made the piece stand out, I think. It kind of has an Egyptian look, sort of? I only hollowed down to within 2-1/2" of the bottom to keep it from being top heavy from the large collar. It is finished with 8-9 coats of Tung Oil and when dried, I buffed it with Ren Wax. Comments are most welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Nice vase Ken and nice finish. I do see what your saying about an Egyptian like look.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Unique. I like it.

Interesting and unique. I really like it. Really nice looking wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking vase
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Definitely a different form! I agree with the ancient shape idea but it looks more Grecian to me. The extended neck looks like it would present some challenges when hollowing! Sure is some pretty wood and I like your use of stone as a filler.

You've been busy! Really cool vase Ken!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,
    When I had my 3/4" hollowing tool with a hook on it, it would just fit in the hole if I tuned it just right, and if I turned it any other way, it would have ripped the vase apart, so it was a little hairy hollowing.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

can't beat this wood for pretty...Don't know if it's grecian or egyptian..maybe it's just Glassian!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Michelle,
    Did you really just say that? LOL
    Regards, Ken

Just plain cool Ken! Like the fill work, really adds to the piece.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots