Thread: Stubby vs Sweet 16

Stubby vs Sweet 16

Hey folks,

I would like your opinion and experience here. I am considering both of these lathes and and not sure which way to go. What I can tell you is...

-American made means nothing to me, considering I am from Canada
    -these are the only two lathes I wish to compare. I have no interest in discussing PM3520's, Oneway's, American Beauties, Vicmarc or the VB.

So, with that in mind, which would you go with and why?

Thanks!
    Steve

P.S. Sorry to sound like a PITA but these discussions ALWAYS seem to flow into "have you considered brand/model XYZ?" Truth is, I have and there is only one other that I am considering. That is a tradition lathe with no moving or removable beds so it is not fair to enter it into the discussion. Thanks for understanding.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Hello Steve - I own a Sweet 16 with a long bed. It was delivered in 11/2010.

Opinion = Incomparable to my last sliding head lathe, much more stable and smooth running.

Experience = No issues with it at all. I've turned a lot of "stuff", from pens to large bowls. I have not used the 32" turning capacity yet, but I have turned a platter that was about 25" with no issues though. I've bolted mine down and I'm able to swing some pretty out of balance blanks with no movement or vibration.

Let me know if you have a specific question and I'll try to help.

Steve, I will start by saying that I don't own either and still use my little Nova 1624....BUT... I have been looking into the various high end lathes available and have spent some time studying both the Sweet16 and the Stubby 750.

The Stubby is a very well built lathe and solid as a rock. A very compact design and with the bed gap is capible of turning a large diameter bowl. I don't really understand the reasoning behind the rotatable bed ways and can't think of how I would use that feature.

The Sweet16 is a tad longer with the gap bed in place..... BUT... if the gap is taken out and bolted onto the end of the lathe, this lathe becomes a full length lathe. Like the stubby, the bed gap allows for a large diameter turning. The bed gap portion of the ways can be attached straight out of the headstock and would allow you to mount the banjo on the headstock for the rear of those large bowls. The bed (like all the Robust lathes) is stainless steel.

From shear appearance, the Stubby looks heavier...but not as refined as the Robust. I don't think a person would regret either. I lean towards the Sweet16, because of the stainless ways, the ability of entending the bed for long spindles and (I know you don't care) the built in the USA deal. I like the ability of being able to call Brent English and know that he's a turner himself that designed a lathe for fellow turners.

And while the American Beauty is the top of the list....for me, the Sweet16 is right behind it and a bit more realistic for the wallet (and the shop space!).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

There is a Stubby 750 posted on AAW and a couple of other sites as well. Same seller but it is in Florida. Here is link to a picture of what the turntable could be used for, should be right up your alley Scott...

http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/cgi-bin/index.py
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I had the Stubby 750...The turntable rotates and allows the banjo to work both sides of a large turning..As a matter of fact it comes with two banjos..the other task I used it for was captured hollowing..the extension can be rotated partially and the trap can be out of the way..You can do any angle with that thing..I loved the lathe and am sorry I ever got rid of it..I sold it for what I paid for it..Holds resale value amazingly well..That one if Fl is a good deal..Ask JJ..

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

I would not pick either of those lathes for exactly what you said at the end. I don't like lathes that try to do so many things by undo this here and remove that there... I ruled out the stubby for that reason and the reason it was made half way round the world. Very hard to get the same sort of personal service and or parts at a reasonable price if you need it. Funny thing is, I now live in aus with my oneway, but I know oneway's service so I'm not concerned but aussie companies don't seem to put the same level of importance on service as NA companies do... YMMV
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 08-31-2012 at 3:23 AM.

Steve, I just want to say that I like your style! No nonsense post. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Steve, I just want to say that I like your style! No nonsense post. I love it.
    Cheers Pat.

Ya know Brian, that is exactly why there is one other lathe in contention for my $$$.

-sigh- This is hard.