Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig's list scam?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

Craig's list scam?

I posted a Delta shaper on the classifieds here on the Creek and also on my local woodworking club's newsletter. I got zero interest from both, not even a question let alone an offer to negotiate price. This morning I posted it on Craig's list and literally within a couple of minutes I had a contact expressing interest, no name, no contact info. I replied to the email (maybe I now regret that) and got a quick reply back saying he was at work on a ranch unable to pick it up personally, but would pay by check ($50 extra if I would take it off Craig's list immediately) and arrange a shipping company to come get it.

Given the warnings on Craig's list about scammers, given the grammatical errors in the contact, given still no name or contact info about him, and given the extreme interest in an item that garnered no interest here, I am going to ignore him and consider him a scam.

Anybody here that would do otherwise?

James

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I would be very leery any time there is an agent involved.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I would ignore his email and report him, if that is an option.

Yeah, this is a textbook Craigslist scam. See http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

but would pay by check ($50 extra if I would take it off Craig's list immediately) and arrange a shipping company to come get it.
    That wasn't enough to make you KNOW it's a scam?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    That wasn't enough to make you KNOW it's a scam?
    Guess I just want to get rid of the dumb shaper too badly

Blog Entries
    Send him and email saying to send you all the money including all shipping charges and an extra $50 for packing it up right now and after it clears the bank you will ship it to where ever he likes. Those are your terms and if that doesn't fit into his plans, he can go find another sucker.
    I find it kind of entertaining to pull these guy's chains. They can get real mad and frustrated. It keeps them engaged so they don't bother other people. I did this to one guy, keeping him going for a week or 2. He said he was in the military overseas and couldn't pick it up himself bla bla bla! He threatened to call the police when I asked him to send me his military ID and social security number so I could check him out. I told him, please do, I'd like to talk to them too! He never contacted me again! Too bad, I thought we were getting along quite well.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-28-2012 at 4:26 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have a love/hate relationship with CL for this very reason. I typically do what Larry said although I don't invest as much time. Simply telling them I am happy to as long as things clear and the dust settles typically is enough to make them go away. If I am bored I sometimes do something I find very amusing with telemarketers. I act very interested in the beginning and feign some type of distraction requiring that I put them on hold - sometimes for 5-10 minutes at a time - during which time I simply set the phone down and go about my business. I can typically get them to go through at least one and sometimes two of these cycles before they hang up. I hate being marketed to in my own home so it pleases me very much to waste their time and possibly annoy them.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I have resorted to always hiding my email, and always adding my phone to the content of a picture. When I used to put my phone # in as text, I noticed my unsolicited phone offers increased dramatically.

Blog Entries
    I have thought about sending the guy another email letting him know I had some more stuff for sale to see what he would do. But I never have.... yet
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-28-2012 at 5:39 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm glad to see you did not get taken, if I don't get a call from a CL ad I posted, I don't respond.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    ... if I don't get a call from a CL ad I posted, I don't respond.
    That makes no sense! I never respond to calls I don't get too! LOL

Must be a typo.

Tell him to send you the money via Western Union.. You'll never hear from him again
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I had one where the guy was going to send a moving company to get the piece of equipment. I just needed to give him my address. I think they may have been interested in more that just the piece of equipment I was selling. I ignored the "offer".
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Number one rule for CL: CASH ONLY!

No cash, no sale.