Thread: Remote switching magnetic switch???

Remote switching magnetic switch???

I have a Delta 50-763 - 3HP 230V 1 Ph. I'd like to remotely switch on when I start my tablesaw. I have the iVac Pro series tool switch and contactor set up. How can I safely achieve turning on my dust collector? Delta doesn't recommend remote starting because of the mag switch. Is there a safe mechanical switch I could convert to?

The guys at iVAc have been great to work with! I will be talking with them later today on the issue but was hoping someone else had resolved this issue or could offer some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Hi Bill. Welcome to the creek.

I have a 3ph dust collector, and I installed a 110v contact relay to start my DC. A simple light switch does it. When the 110 trips the relay, the relay makes the contact for the 3ph electric. Simple. Cheap.

For my setup, I actually also turn on the rotary phase converter with a 110 light switch / contact relay too. Both 110 switches (both are 2-way switches) are right next to each other by my tablesaw. The second 2-way switch box is over by my jointer/planer.

Todd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Littler View Post
    I have a Delta 50-763 - 3HP 230V 1 Ph. I'd like to remotely switch on when I start my tablesaw. I have the iVac Pro series tool switch and contactor set up. How can I safely achieve turning on my dust collector? Delta doesn't recommend remote starting because of the mag switch. Is there a safe mechanical switch I could convert to?

The guys at iVAc have been great to work with! I will be talking with them later today on the issue but was hoping someone else had resolved this issue or could offer some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Bill
    Bill, my DC is hardwired into my contactor (remote starter). Prior to the contactor I have a large lever switch for manual disconnect. You should be able to bypass the mag.start in the Delta. Getting the mag start to work in conjunction with the iVac Pro will be more difficult.

My Oneida has a magnetic switch on it, and they can be a pain to remote operate.
    I ended up hardwiring the mag switch to the shop power, and the switch in turn powers a 220V single outlet. The remote switch then plugs into this outlet and the dust collector plugs into the remote switch.

when I get in the shop, i turn on the mag switch which powers the remote switch. I can then operate the dust collector with the pocket remote.

What you are trying to do is difficult to near impossible without wiring into the existing equipment switch boxes, etc. because the mag starters on your TS and DC (if it has one) are likely the new, full voltage units. They have no extra contacts on the internal relays to do any switching and the contactor coils and all wiring are 220V.

There are many ways to do what you want, but the simplest way for you might be to get an appropriately rated heavy duty 220V IVAC and remove the mag starter from the DC. You can also adjust the timing on the IVAC so the DC will stay running after you turn off the saw reducing DC motor cycling.

My fully automated DC system uses low voltage control and current sensor switches, but is probably far more complex than you want.

posted in error.