Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silky Oak HF - Done

Silky Oak HF - Done

I got this blank of silky oak a few months ago and it has been giving me looks every time I walk by it. Tonight I finally took the hint.
    I mounted it up, trued it and turned a tenon. Then flipped it around and turned the outside to completion, then sanded to 800. It started getting late, so I wrapped it up good and I'll do the hollowing tomorrow.
    It's got some nice markings and a streak across the top that almost looks like an ambrosia mark.
    I'll post finished pics tomorrow.
    2012-10-09_17-51-043.jpg2012-10-09_19-10-054.jpg2012-10-09_19-11-030.jpg
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    Last edited by Kathy Marshall; 10-11-2012 at 12:31 AM.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Silky oak looks a lot like our local sycamore. Loooking good so far!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have only turned one piece of silky oak and love it. Yours is looking mighty fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Got it finished tonight and I'm happy with how it turned out.
    It's 4 3/1" tall x 5 1/4" wide, finish is antique oil. I'm considering turning a lid or collar and finial for it, but I'll give it a few days to see if the opening stays round.
    PICT0002.JPGPICT0001-001.JPGPICT0003-001.JPGPICT0004.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Looks good Kathy! I don't think a lid is needed for it as it looks just great as it is. As Scott says it looks exactly like Sycamore, I'll have to google a silky Oak as I have no idea what one looks like (not surprising as I live the other side of the Atlantic lol)

very bold round shape..is it still talking to you? :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Really nice full round form. Agree with Johnny that no lid is needed. Well done!

Very nice work; the wood is pretty too.

Nice ... and yea, I wouldn't think a lid is needed unless you plan to store cookies in there! It does look a bit like sycamore.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Never heard of silky oak before but looks very cool. Nice piece.

She's a full figured beauty and I like her. If Scott is correct and Silky Oak is similar to our sycamore, I will be interested in knowing how much it moves as it dries.
    faust

As usual, great form.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

very nice.......

Very nice shape, Kathy. I was also struck by how much it looks like sycamore, so I resorted to Google. The Hearne Hardwoods site says that Australian silky oak is a member of the sycamore family.

Nice form and pretty wood Kathy! Interesting about silky oak being in the sycamore family. Certainly looks the part.