Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta quality control issues looking for a new lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Murphy View Post
    I am surprised at your problems with the Delta lathe, I had the original Delta mini (10" swing) for ten years and had no problem. BTW, I mean original, my serial was # 00041. But I understand Delta was bought out in the interim, then the buyer bought out (I think the parent company is now Porter-Cable).

When I decided to go to a midi (12" swing) I looked at the Delta, the Jet, and the PSI (Penn State Industries). I chose the PSI Turncrafter Commander VS for both the price and the features. I have been using it for two years now, and have had some problems - but none insurmountable (the company is a family company outside of Philly and very responsive). They design their equipment but outsource the manufacture (but I think you may find that true with most these days).

First the features: 1 hp DC induction motor (not reversible), 12" swing, 18" between centers, speed range of 150 - 3800 rpm on two pulley pairs (150 - @2500 and @380 - 3800), LED speed read-out. Price is about $500, but I've never seen it on their site for more than $450 as they are always on discount.

Now the problems: The headstock wasn't perfectly aligned with the ways and the tailstock is a bit sloppy in the ways.

But the solution was easy. The headstock is mounted to the ways with four bolts, and the holes in the base of the headstock are slightly overdrilled. That allows just enough leeway to shift the headstock alignment slightly to bring it into line (and also to shim it if there is a vertical alignment problem). As to the slop in the tailstock (the ways are true), that can be taken care of with a bit of judicious filing of one edge to line it up - then one can press the tailstock against that edge before tightening it down. One way to line them up is to buy a double ended 2MT (sold for realigning "turnable" headstocks) use it to adjust the headstock and tailstock - another is to do it by eyeball with the points of your centers.

Your Delta 46-460 lists at about $700, the Powermatic at $4000, that is quite a jump (even if you can get a discount). You say you are 17, I've got 60 years on you - that makes us both in that low income category, although for different reasons. If I were to hit the lottery I'd buy a Robust Sweet Sixteen (@ $6000, and I look at it on the web with my tongue hanging out regularly). But I suggest that you not go high end at your age until you have developed the skills (my first guitar, at age 14 in 1949, was a Martin from a pawn shop - $15 - and I made a living some years later as a guitarist/singer).

I would guess that the PSI design, with the headstock not permanently fixed, is their recognition that the out-sourced manufacture will never be perfect and that it is better to allow for adjustments. I've looked at a picture of the Delta 46-460 and it appears the headstock is fixed. I think that all the lower priced lathes (and possibly even some of the higher priced ones) are out-sourced to other countries. They can machine the parts well, but the final fitting is suspect. I suggest you look into the PSI, and consider it a learning process. I play a number of stringed instruments, and make all my own. The point being that before you spend a lot of money you should "know your tools" - understand them, and know how to fix them.

Best, Jon
    Another reason I decided against it was , the fact I need a scroll saw , band saw, and drill press and that's going to cost 2k all together . Don't get me started on guitars I can go on for days , I am selling a prs McCarty rosewood to fund it .I couldn't believe powermatic was made in Asia that blew my mind as well . Oneway is the only American company that I am aware of .

Oneway is Canadian.

Its still North American , So its American regardless if it wants to be or not lol

I know Robust is built in the USA, pretty sure Serious is too.