Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I advertised a lathe on CL and.......

I don't give my phone number when I first reply to an ad. I do however make my response more than a one liner, and do give my location and suggest a local meeting place for inspection by name. I also look at the email address of the person that replied when I'm selling something. It's safe to say that business domains, and .edu addresses are legit, at least that's been my experience. Most of the trash comes from yahoo and gmail emails..... another reason I give a lot of info when I reply to an ad using a gmail email.

I also use a gmail account for anything CL related. Easy to dump and create a new one if needed. So far it seems as though the spammers don't even add gmail emails to their lists, as I've never gotten any junk even after taunting the spammers/scammers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    So far it seems as though the spammers don't even add gmail emails to their lists, as I've never gotten any junk even after taunting the spammers/scammers.
    Google is top notch about filtering before anything bad hits your inbox... I've only had one false positive on their spam filter in the many years I've been using them. Very few false negatives, as in I could likely count them on one hand...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

When my personal assistant read me this thread, I was quite shocked! Seriously, what a bizarre world. I hope they go away quickly.