Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Billiard with a handcut stem.

Rick,
    That is a cool project and you did a fanastic job on it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Really a beauty Rick. I like the simple lines.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ted, the stem is acetal rod, and yes it's filed to shape sanded and buffed. The whole pipe making process is kind of interesting art form, certainly another lifetime's worth of learning.

Just a note to anyone, if you strongly dislike lots of sanding... pipe making probably isn't gonna be your thing
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

That's a "smokin" pipe Rick! (Sorry... couldn't pass it up...) I would love to get my hands on a big piece of that wood!
    David DeCristoforo

Not a smoking or sanding fan Rick, but that is a great looking pipe!

Baxter, I'm not a smoker either. I'm not planning on starting either so I'm using a few contacts that are "learned" pipe collectors/smokers and going to use them as guinea pigs to make sure I can generate pipes that smoke great, hopefully during that process I can start perfecting the hand shaping techniques. It's definitely very different from anything I've done before.

David, Thanks! I've seen a place or two online that offers whole briar burls, though nearly everytime I've checked they have been sold out. I suppose if you stalked the site one could be had eventually. I managed to score a couple of large pieces off of ebay a few months ago, that's what started all of this...
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

hey rick i would like to be the first test subject on smokability of your newest creation.
    a note to david, briar does it not usually found in 'BIG' chunks it is the root of a heath bush or tree. usually from the mediterranean region of the world. the really good stuff is very hard to find as the worlds best pipe makers get the first pick of what is harvested. lots of cracks and checks in briar and usually not on the surface. you can be carving a piece and dsicover interanl cracks which make the chunk unusable for high end pipes and gluing to repair them is not usually an option.
    just my .o2 worth

Rick,
    Even Bing Crosby would be proud of this one. A great looking pipe and a wonderful way to present it as well. Very well done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Rick,
    For you first attempt that is a wonderful looking pipe. I am a pipe smoker and have made a couple of pipes. Your pipe is much better than either one of mine. I smoke the first one that I made and gave the second one to an older gentleman that I know. There are many tricks that pipemakers know and they are generally a very generous group with their knowlege. If you haven't already checked out the (pipemakers forum) you should, as there is alot of information on there and a great bunch of guys. Great job!!

OK here is a stupid question.... What keeps the bowl from igniting when the tobacco is lit? Curious minds what to know!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Rick - an elegant pipe indeed! I smoked them for a year, way back. The odor of a guy smokin good tobacco mixtures is great while the taste is ...well...lets say "different". How did u put the name on? Is that delicate carving or stamping? Keep em comin!

Thanks guys!

Allen, I'll put you on the list!

John, I've been lurking (and studying) over at the pipemakers forum for a couple of months, they seem like a pretty good bunch of folks.

Ken, Thank you. I'm not sure this one is up to Bing's standards yet... soon though

Norm, I agree, I always loved the smell of pipe tobacco, the taste... it's not for me. (besides if I smoked I would want to try all of them out, and who wants a used pipe?)

Scott, There are two schools of thought in the pipe community regarding bowls, coated and uncoated. Uncoated (raw briar) seems to be "en vogue" right now, while coated (with a carbon coating that is applied, allowed to dry and then burnt on) seems to be a favorite of a small group of smokers/pipemakers. It seems the community has shied away from a carbon coating due to perceived health concerns (uh.... smoking is still bad either way.) Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable afficionados will step in, but as you smoke an uncoated pipe, the tar from the tobacco coats and essentially forms a "protective" insulated layer on the inside of the bowl. That being said, I think the bowl eventually does succomb to the heat and fire.

Whoops, sorry Norm, I didn't mean to miss part of your question. It's a pipemaker's stamp that I had made. As you can see from the photo, my stamping technique needs a little tweaking. I wish I could say that it was a delicate carving, I can't even write with a pen that neatly!

That's a fine looking pipe Rick! Not that I know much about pipes, but the wood, shape and finish all look great to my eye!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Rick, that is one nice looking pipe! As that's your first(but looks good enough to be your 100th!!!) I think you are going to do very well creating these. I made one last year, for a friend, and can confirm it really isn't easy. Mine looked nothing like as good as yours!! I hope you are very proud of it, excellent work