Thread: Sorby hollowmaster and multi tip tools vs easy wood tools mid size hollowers

Sorby hollowmaster and multi tip tools vs easy wood tools mid size hollowers

I just purchased the sorby today because I wanted some nice hollowing tools and couldn't afford any more easy wood tools . I brought them home and watched a few demos and attempted to hollow and it was like a butter knife on a rock ...... To my knowledge since they a replaceable tips they should come sharp right ? They look and feel kinda sharp but won't make a cut anyway around it . I also noticed how poorly crafted these tools were compared to easy wood tools , they have all kinds of bad glue jobs and cheapy feeling handles ( I have 3 full size ewt and they're perfect) . I was wondering if anyone has used the midsized set of easy hollowers and could tell me if they are really worth the extra 279.99 or if I should just try and sharpen the sorbys more , given I am getting 3 tools vs 2 sorby the extra cash would't be 2 bad because they are so solid of a tool and made in the good ole usa . I can afford it next week though I am just not sure if its worth it . I am still on the learning curve with the finisher trying to get my scraping cuts perfected without catching . I have been watching videos and they are very impressive on the cuts and smoothness .......

2. Jordan.........the Sorby Hollowmaster that I purchased when I decided to get into some hollowforms........well it almost beat me to death! That is why I got a captured system for hollowing [Monster Articulating rig] and the difference is night and day........

Hand held hollowing tools will put stress on your wrists, hands and arms, but some are better than others.....my opinion, and just mine..........the Sorby is not one of the better ones. I also have Ellsworth's hollowing tools.........they were much better than the Sorby, but still a lot of stress with the "bent' tool [the one where the cutter comes out from the tool at an angle for getting underneath the lip area.

If you get serious about hollowing ........in time you will likely get a captured system as well.......most turners who do hollow forms eventually go this way.......for good reason........

If you have a chance to get with other members of your turning club, ask to give one of their rigs a try......you will see why most turners either purchase or make their own captured system for hollowing.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have the Sorby hollowmaster and boring bar. I have to agree that they are not the greatest, however, they are NOT sharp when you get them. Before you drop more money on the Easy Wood Tools, sharpen the cutters, try more relief (sharper angles) and give it another try. Even if you get the EWT, you'll still be free handing, and that requires a lot of practice. After getting beat up by the Sorbys more, skip the EWT and get a captured or articulated system like Roger says. My Monster System should be shipped this week . (Stealth gloat) I can only get beaten by my Sorbys for a couple hours and I have to stop. Hopefully, the many glowing reports of the Monster rig is true.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I have the Sorby hollowmaster and boring bar. I have to agree that they are not the greatest, however, they are NOT sharp when you get them. Before you drop more money on the Easy Wood Tools, sharpen the cutters, try more relief (sharper angles) and give it another try. Even if you get the EWT, you'll still be free handing, and that requires a lot of practice. After getting beat up by the Sorbys more, skip the EWT and get a captured or articulated system like Roger says. My Monster System should be shipped this week . (Stealth gloat) I can only get beaten by my Sorbys for a couple hours and I have to stop. Hopefully, the many glowing reports of the Monster rig is true.
    Congrats on the Monster rig, Kyle........you don't know what you have been missing.........yet! You will wonder why you waited, but $$$$$ seems always to factor in the timing of our purchasing decisions.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

After the tool is sharp, make sure you are cutting at centerline. Above or below and very little cutting will actually occur.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I may have found a wicked deal on 3 ewt mid size hollowers so I will probably be getting them . I am trying to find a captive toolrest to use with them for the ultimate hollowing system .

I don't own the easywood tool but I've had a fair share of experience and frustration with the sorby hollowmaster. If there's an advantage to the easywood tool I think it would come from the smaller round carbide cutter. When using the small 1/4" cutting tips with the sorby it's pretty easy to control once you get the hang of letting the tool hang 4-5" over the toolrest. But the round or pear shaped scrapers for the sorby are quite large, and have to be because the end of the tool is 5/8" wide. That can make for a pretty aggressive cutting tool if you're not addressing the wood at just the right angle. And that's usually where I've had most of my problems. The easywood tool has a tapered tip so their smaller round cutters would take a smaller bite and tend to grab or catch less if you weren't addressing the wood exactly right. But both tools have a learning curve that comes from a curved shaft. The straight part of the shaft needs to be on the rest or there's more torque than you can control with a hand held tool. With the sorby that means the cutter is out there about 4-5" over the tool rest. The easywood tool has a smaller swan neck so it probably requires a little less hang over the rest. And both are scraping tools. The sorby can be sharpened pretty easy but the easywood is carbide and is just replaced when it's worn dull. Your comment about using the easy wood tool with a captured system would make a great hollowing tool. I've made an adaptor to use my sorby in my captured system and I really like how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Gilbert View Post
    I may have found a wicked deal on 3 ewt mid size hollowers so I will probably be getting them . I am trying to find a captive toolrest to use with them for the ultimate hollowing system .
    Take a look at JTTurning tools. Their tool rest that comes with the trans-former hollowing tool would work with the EWT's. Personally I prefer HSS tips, but I think the JTTurning Transformer, Kelton hollower, and Hunter tools cut the wood better then the EWT's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Gilbert View Post
    Monster Tools is having a 10% sale right now. Check them out...... They cost more than your 3 EWTs, but it is already a captive system or articulated system. Comes with laser. You won't need to hunt around to find stuff that could work together. They have hand held too.

Good luck in your decision! It is a hard choice. I thought long and hard to plink down the money for the Monster. So many choices, so much money.

The monster is way to much of a " machine" for me I am not a traditional turner but it looks like a robot device . I like the jt turning trans former I will look into that .

I picked up the Mid-size #1 to go with my #3 a couple weeks ago. Used for the first time last weekend. Hollowing about a 2 ½ x 3 ½ Padauk egg shape ornament with a ¾ access hole. Worked extremely well! It also works nicely for exterior detailing.

Going for the #2 soon to complete my set.

Yea I had a Sorby,not much luck and a lot of catches.I bought the Trent Bosch hand hollowing tools and have been very satisfied.I made a hollow form at our club using a Jamieson captive system and I thought the learning curve was quite high.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Had the sorby hollowers for about 5 year and never really had a problem with them as long as you don't over hang the tool rest too far, I always found they cut better slightly above centre, and take no notice of how sorby tells you to sharpen the cutters, don't use a slip stone or diamond file on the top edge, use a few upward strokes on the cutters bevel (creating a small burr, that's how they cut) is what's needed,
    I do think they need longer handles though!