Thread: Cutting pen blanks / acrylic on bandsaw

Cutting pen blanks / acrylic on bandsaw

I haven't turned a acrylic pen blank since 2011 , I had a crappy 10'' craftsman band saw with a 1/2 blade and It worked pretty could . Now I have a monster 14'' rikon deluxe with and I bought a big timber wolf 3/4 3tpi blade . I am thinking it will be fine to cut wood pen blanks with it but the acrylic kind of scares me . Has anyone used a blade like this to cut wood / acrylic this small ?

Jordan,

The very first thing I do when I get a new band saw is to make a sliding table for the saw. I cut pen blanks on my band saw exclusively because it is the safest machine for the job IMO. A slider allows you to setup stop blocks which help keep your hands away from the blade and give you perfect repeatability every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Gilbert View Post
    I haven't turned a acrylic pen blank since 2011 , I had a crappy 10'' craftsman band saw with a 1/2 blade and It worked pretty could . Now I have a monster 14'' rikon deluxe with and I bought a big timber wolf 3/4 3tpi blade . I am thinking it will be fine to cut wood pen blanks with it but the acrylic kind of scares me . Has anyone used a blade like this to cut wood / acrylic this small ?
    Every week. A lot more clean up though...little acrylic feathers everywhere!.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I would use a finer tooth blade to alleviate chipping

That blade will work fine for "wood". That is basically a resaw blade. I would not use it for acrylics. With the blade being a 3TPI it might catch on the acrylic and bust it. (Been there and done that). Once was enough for me. If you still have your Craftsman 10"er just get a 8 or more tpi and cut acrylics on it. I've got a1/2" x 3tpi on my 14" saw and a 1/4" x 10tpi on my old Craftsman just for the acrylics and other finer cuts. 2 bandsaws is great unless you like changing blades alot.

I sold that "Piece" a while back . I will just buy a smaller blader I am going to need a small one to do bowl rounding and bandsaw boxes . What size do you guys think ? I can picture the acrylic grabbing like a piece of wood on a scroll saw except with a blade almost 100 times bigger and sharper , needless to say it freaks me out .

It only took one time for me to learn. As quick as the acrylic touched the 3tpi blade it grabbed it and shattered the end. I pulled back and checked to see if I still had all my fingers. It happened that quick. 3TPI blades are NOT good to cut Acrylic. Will not happen again.

Try a narrower blade, such as 3/8 in and the slower blade speed - change the belt on the pulleys.

Generated heat and plastic tending to fuse to the blase is a problem. I wonder if a layer of clear packaging tape would provide any benefit, similar to scroll saw work.

Joe