Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonably priced square?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    While ordering my blade I decided to get a good square, the one I have is very questionable. I thought I'd just get this
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...36,42945,44279

has anyone tried it?

on a thought to save a bit, is this a good one for checking edges, plane ramps and such?
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,42941&p=32601
    Matthew,

I have a set of engineering squares made by Groz that are accurate, durable and less expensive than the LVs and do find them great for machine set ups, etc. .... having a range from 2" to 6" blades has turned out to be a good investment because sometimes a square is "too large"

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...-AND-6IN..html

busy bee is in Canada..... Grizzly in the U.S. appears to have the "same" set without naming the brand.... but I would suspect that Groz stuff should be available closer to you.

good luck

michael

I have the groz 3 set engineers squares. I find them accurate enough. For measuring, I use an incra adjustable rule that lets you put the pencil thru the holes. I love that thing.

I have 4 Starrett squares which I have purchased over the years. This includes a 12", 6", 6" double square, 4" and a 24" extra blade for the 12". I would not be without any of them as they are used frequently depending on the task at hand. I also have 2 Starrett 6" rules, a 12" rule and a 24" rule. All of which I use as needed.

I also use my BCTW squares as they are amazingly accurate.

Just a tool junkie!!!!

Blog Entries
    I've decided to get the 6" Starrett double square, thank you all so much for the advice! I might get a small2 inch steel square too.

I have the LV 4" and it is probably the most frequently used tool in my shop. I absolutely love it and have no complaints. Very well made, accurate, and fits in hand so well, I don't know how I managed without it.
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

the one thing I do like about fixed squares is when you have that little notch, since it allows you to check for square over saw fuzz or flash on the edges of something.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

There is a company called iGaging that makes "better than junk" combination squares which you can get for close to junk square prices (~$15). Granted, these do not have the quality or fit-and-finish of Starrett, Brown&Sharpe, etc, but since I'm buying for student use and I'll lose ~6/year it's a reasonable trade off. A little bit of filing and a coat of wax makes them quite good users. Not quite as good as the PEC/LV squares, but very close.

852812.jpg

Rockler and Woodcraft carry some of the iGaging squares, they're available from many web outlets as well.

I've gotten them from traditionalwoodworker and mannys

I use my Starrett 6" combination square more than anything. I found almost all my Starrett items on a certain auction site for about what new cheaper stuff costs.