Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billiard #2 with handcut stem

Billiard #2 with handcut stem

So this is number 2 It is leaps and bounds better than the first. This one is dyed using transtint dyes and a variation of my dyeing process (It's enhanced, as opposed to the bold bright color work) This one is now in the hands of a friend who is a pipe smoker for testing I will admit this is fun! (final last words down another slippery slope )

Hand cut stem, hemispherical tobacco chamber 3/4" in diameter. Finish is Renwax.
    African Blackwood tamper with scoop

Thanks for looking C&C always welcome and appreciated!
    IMG_1847_1.jpg
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

This is absolutely stunning ! The combination of beautiful wood along with the incredible form and color are gorgeous. Looks like it was painstaking to make so well. Nice work.
    Dick Mahany.

Beautiful! It almost make me want to start smoking a pipe!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Can't imagine how it could be done any better. Nice work!

Can I pick your brain Rick? I'm sure Scott will be right behind me with this...What part do you turn and what parts are carved? WHat stem material are you using? Since some are acrylic, I was thinking of making a mold and pouring a stem. WHat do you think of some of the kits out there?
    Oh yeah...just beautiful!!! The scoop and tamper is way to cool!!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 11-17-2012 at 2:46 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

6. While I am not a smoker, and do not advocate anyone starting the habit, I do greatly admire the fine craftsmanship of Rick on this and the fact it is a very functional item. Super job on this Rick......your color scheme is very well done, and your burl figured wood just adds to the beauty. The tamper with scoop is such a neat item as well......just really nice......congratulations!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rick.....you stink! Lol. Not really, but this is so nice and knowing a bit of what it takes to make one.....well envy comes to mind! Fantastic job.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott, thanks! I wouldn't be too envious, I have a feeling your second one will surprise you too. (This one surprised me) I'm interested to see how the foredom carver serves you in this, I can see it being useful for some of the final shaping around the shank bowl junction. I've been cleaning that area up with a sawmaker's rasp.

Roger, I don't smoke, nor do I wish anyone to start. However, I do appreciate these guys' art and have "the bug" to participate.

Jim, the stem is Acetal rod. (It's not the best for this purpose, according to some) ebonite is the premo stem material, however acrylic is the second most popular. I would also like to pick your brain regarding the casting. I would be interested in casting my own stem blanks. I'm particularly interested in knowing if Alumalite is a type of acrylic, and would like to know if it's bendable. Maybe you or someone knows? (Alan Trout?)

Here's some process pics. Sorry I don't have one with before any stem shaping was done removed from the lathe, but I did take one with the stem attached before I removed the stummel from the chuck (Actually this is the first pipe in the first pic), the lathe work is finished at this point. Obviously you wouldn't have the stem attached and run the lathe in this position

The rest I have cut the stem to shape, leaving the button (the knob on the end of the stem) for last It's the last thing you finish

Final shaping of stummel and stem done, only the button is left (The part my fingers are holding will become the button at the end of the stem) All that's left is finishing and buffing after that
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Great pics of the process!!! How to proceed after the last pic? Dremel, file, sanding? Alumilite is a urethane resin. May not be suitable as it doesn't handle heat well. I'm brainstorming a way to make a mold, pouring with PR, with a wire built in...I think this merits a further look see!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is beautiful, well done with that.

splendid pipe..very handsome
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Rick I like how you did the pipe and I like how you put your name on the side. How did you do that.
    Fred

Beautiful Rick and well done. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sooo nice Rick. I used to be a pipe smoker and during that period I would have loved to try one of yours. By the way with this interest does the Kobra now just sit on a shelf?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Good job Rick! Well done. Ive also looked at pipe making and watched a few dozen on youtube. Strangley, 80% of the masters do not use a lathe but shape by hand, using perhaps some type of sander with coarse grain. Shapes go from "Id like to fondle that" to "what creativity!" and there seems there's an endless list of designs. Can I ask where you get your wood, if you buy at a pipe supplier's site what size do you choose and finally how is that shiny finish achieved? (note: there is much discussion among pipe producers on the contribution of the finish to the taste achieved later on).
    Thanks!
    Norm