Thread: Lathe Chuck

Lathe Chuck

I don't turn a great deal but I would like to expand my horizons by adding a chuck to my lathe if possible. Two questions:I have a Conover Lathe and the drive spindle has outside threads; the threads being 1/8" apart and the threaded spindle is 1.5 inches in diameter. I assume that is what the chuck would mount to. If so how do I describe that thread pattern? Second, Could someone give me an idea on what to buy when it comes to chucks? Thanks, Jim

contact Ernie C and get the proper size & thread ..then get any chuck that fits..they all are good. my preference is Vicmarc, but even cheaper ones from PSI and Grizzly work ok
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Jim,

I have the same lathe. The spindle is 1-1/2" X 8 TPI.

Grizzly has a chuck with that spindle size (H7820) that I own and find quite adequate for the amount of turning that I do. I also own a couple of sets of Vicmarc jaws since the Grizzly is a knock-off of that brand and the jaws are interchangeable.

4. Wow - two more people with Conover lathes. I thought I had the only one left!

I have a Supernova 2 that I bought reconditioned off the Nova website. It is threaded 1-1/2" X 8 and can be used on a Conover without an insert. Its a nice chuck and the price of the reconditioned chucks is pretty reasonable. Nova sells a full line of jaws, so it is also pretty flexible.

Great! I see that Woodcraft has the Supernova II on sale for $200. I will check and see what eh Grizzlys are.

I may have been told wrong but I don't think so But you need to check about the Nova Chuck.The Nova people told me that the threads on the inside of there chucks is a special thread and will not fit any lathe correctly you have to have an insert. I would call Nova and I think I may do that tomorrow.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

7. I've been using my Nova chuck directly on my Conover for the past year with no insert and I haven't had any issues.

For the SN2 here is their service center. $100 plus insert and shipping. Everyone that I have seen who posted states they look brand new. Or $160 on Amazon with free shipping.
    http://novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONE...ck-23055-R.htm
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Vicmarc has a chuck and insert that fits a 1.5" X 8 TPI spindle

Oneway Stronghold has a Conover insert for that chuck to fit the Conover lathe

Grizzly has a Vicmarc knockoff that should fit as well
    Have fun and take care

The Grizzly knockoff of the Vicmarc 90 is just over $100. Great chuck for the money... I have 2.
    I drink, therefore I am.